Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#780982 11/04/23 06:33 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm not sure whether this is good or bad. Harrison is presently offering their Mixbus DAW with a bunch of plugins and with a huge reduction in price.
Mixbus is based on Ardour and Harrison made many contributions to the latter. However, Harrison were acquired in 2022 by Solid State Logic, who don't list Mixbus on their website, only the rather more expensive Mixbus32C. So maybe Mixbus is going away? I don't know. Either way:
Mixbus V9+9 bundle

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Gordon, I use Mixbus 32c I bought it on the annual sale for a great price. From what I gather on the site there are still plans to continue development of the Mixbus line. With version 9.2 just being released. Mixbus 32c is a very good product to well, mix in it may be a tad behind in some areas like maybe midi, but the console style mixing environment is very good. I find the ability to create a full rich product very easy. The in channel EQ is simply brilliant as it the compression.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I bought only the standard Mixbus, but back before they'd produced the 32C version. I didn't upgrade because the old PC I was using probably would not have coped. Perhaps I should consider it. For me it also has the benefit of offering Linux native. I imagine there's still and upgrade path and that if they do discontinue the non-32C version, they'll offer a competitive switch. 9.2 of both seem to be out.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I bought the 32C version 6 and after they released three paid upgrades in a little over a year, I bailed. So, I currently own 9 but haven’t reactivated the licenses on my new machine.

They’re going after a digital version of big old analog consoles and recorders. I realized I gave that up in 1997 when I went to Digital Performer and didn’t miss the workflow at all. It’s not bad but, even though I started in analog in the 1960s, I’m not going backward.

It wasn’t very much money and it’s been written off. Moving on…

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I've never had the 32C only the base version, though I've never been asked to pay for an upgrade. Curious. I can certainly understand why you bailed, though. Pretty much all of their plug-ins seem to be "for Mixbus or Mixbus32C only", which seems like a significant restriction.

FWIW, I started with Mixbus as it was available on Linux, having been developed upon Ardour, which was originally a Linux DAW. Most software I get is first informed by "can I get/use it on Linux?". If the answer is no, then usually the software is dropped off of the short-list unless there's some compelling reason to keep it there ... BIAB, is an obvious example. A frustration with that is that, to use a Windows application that doesn't run on Linux, means changing from my "home" OS to use it. I spend 95% of my time in Linux, so that's a real nuisance and it adds to my periodic self-debates on "why am I still fighting BIAB's multifarious quirks?". I have only two software packages that I can't (presently, anyway) use on Linux, BIAB and my PCB-CAD. Most other Windows stuff will run in Wine' or if not there, in VirtualBox.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Gordon, i did a head to head test on Mixbus 32c, with Realband, and Reaper. I loaded the same stems created in BiaB. then i mixed them using the same basic principles. I was able to get fairly close on the end result with all three. But it took a lot more work with Reaper and RB. i had to add the EQs and compressors to each track and create a master chain that gave me what i wanted. In MB32c those tools exist on each track/channel and on each mixbus and master buss. not to mention each tool is custom designed to suit that purpose, i.e. being a master or track tool. it took half the mixing time and the sound was rich and punchy.

Mixbus 32c is far from being perfect, and even lags in some areas, but for pure mixing especially with the quality stems BiaB offers it sounds great. the BiaB plugin works nice there as well.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
I've never had the 32C only the base version, though I've never been asked to pay for an upgrade.
... that is an upgrade within the same version. I've done a few major-version upgrades, for which I've paid a little.
Harrison's upgrade policy for both Mixbus and Mixbus32C is the same, subject to a price difference between the two for the major upgrade, so I'm rather surprised at Mike's reported experience.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
6 to 7 was free since it happened within 30 days of my initial purchase. I had to call to get it resolved. By the way, they answer the phone—a major + + + for me (try that with Reaper). The subsequent upgrades were $79 each plus plug-in packs but they came too quickly and while a turn off wasn’t a deal killer.

I spend 40 to 70 hours a week in a DAW. it’s a major part of my income. If the workflow doesn’t let me get the job done faster, I need to go with something else that does. It cost me about $300 or so a little over a year. Experiments are just as valid if they produce negative results.

I’m an old AS400 and UNIX head, mostly SCO but ATT and SUN here and there. Some of my geeky FAQs are still up in various corners of the internet which surprises me 20-30 years later. I have no use for LINUX, however. None of my employers or clients used it and I am not a hobbyist. Computers are tools I use to get things done and too much of LINUX is trying to make things work while bragging about the money saved. I live and work in the heart of the Silicon Valley — everyone I know has dabbled in LINUX around here.

I see that Audacity has added functionality that I’ve been using for decades in DP that does not exist in Mixbus. Perhaps it no longer sucks. I will never take the time to find out.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
much of LINUX is trying to make things work while bragging about the money saved.
The money was never an issue. I've been using Unix and/or Linux continuously since about 1981/1982, several years before Windows (or even Lisa or Gem), mostly as a development platform, host, target, embedded. I used regularly to have the question "how do I even do this in Windows?". Mostly(!) I just find Linux much more productive for me. Very occasionally it's a struggle. But then I'm an electronics/software designer, not part of the music industry.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
I've been using Mixbus 32C since it started. For editing both MIDI and audio, it's not even approaching Realband, but for sheer mixing power it's fabulous. With four-band sweep EQ, twelve sends, compressor and gate right there on every channel it's simply a pleasure to work on. It's fast, it's flexible and it sounds great. Like Rob, I can get a finished mix so much quicker and with less fuss. I'm always gonna use Realband for tracking-up and, of course, for the virtual room full of session musicians, but then the stems get ported straight over to 32C. I'd be the first to say that not everyone has the same way of working, but if you were brought up on large format consoles you'll probably feel at home.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Solid State Logic flexed their ownership muscles today. This morning's email came with an "offering" to move my Harrison plugins over to iLok for "free" as long as I buy something — what??? As far as I can tell, the SSL versions can be used in other DAWs which is ok, I suppose. Only one plug interested me (G3 Limiter) but I still have a current license for it from the original developer who had a sale before he sold out to SSL so it's Thanks but no thanks for now.

Anyway, my old account info is no longer valid so it's new logins, new web sites and a convoluted system to see my Harrison purchases (they now email the info after I jumped through enough hoops) that can't be linked to the new SSL account. I spent an hour trying to sort it out—creating three new accounts (Harrison, Harrison Store and SSL) in the process—before deciding that I was right to be done with it all.

This is worse than the iZotope/Native instruments/Plugin Alliance merger mess but I have a whole lot more money invested in that.

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Solid State Logic flexed their ownership muscles today. This morning's email came with an "offering" to move my Harrison plugins over to iLok for "free" as long as I buy something — what??? As far as I can tell, the SSL versions can be used in other DAWs which is ok, I suppose. Only one plug interested me (G3 Limiter) but I still have a current license for it from the original developer who had a sale before he sold out to SSL so it's Thanks but no thanks for now.

Anyway, my old account info is no longer valid so it's new logins, new web sites and a convoluted system to see my Harrison purchases (they now email the info after I jumped through enough hoops) that can't be linked to the new SSL account. I spent an hour trying to sort it out—creating three new accounts (Harrison, Harrison Store and SSL) in the process—before deciding that I was right to be done with it all.

This is worse than the iZotope/Native instruments/Plugin Alliance merger mess but I have a whole lot more money invested in that.

Yes, similar here. I couldn't log on and couldn't (again) reset my password, so sent them a message saying so.

There are almost always headaches when these kinds of thing happen.

I think they're not asking me to buy anything, but I'm offered only the "Mastering EQ iLok upgrade". I'm not even sure what that means/implies.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott

Yes, similar here. I couldn't log on and couldn't (again) reset my password, so sent them a message saying so.

There are almost always headaches when these kinds of thing happen.

I think they're not asking me to buy anything, but I'm offered only the "Mastering EQ iLok upgrade". I'm not even sure what that means/implies.

I got this email just now:

OOPS! Our new store was not configured correctly for the Multiband Compressor update.

If you had trouble getting your Multiband Compressor for $0, please follow the same purchase steps to make a new purchase, and the discount should be applied to your account this time! Sorry for the trouble.

The site still doesn't work.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,640
Posts735,354
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.