Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
I am really angry. No updates and bugfixes since July!!!
Providing a manual, which itself is not complete, with a bad chat clone is no help.

As a customer I feel ripped off!!!!!!!

I have only seen software in such an unstable state among amateur programmers.

Melodist jukebox still doesn't work!
Some melodists play harmony voices even though disabled!!
Window handling doesn't work properly!
Instrumentalists who don't take endings into account and just keep playing!
Function-based standard paths are constantly changing!
Audio and program performance are not up to date and bad!!!!
The standard procedure for errors is to reset to factory settings? Are you serious?
Anyone who seriously expects a faulty program to work without errors when reset to the standard settings is an idiot.

Veteran
Veteran
Uwe,
difficult day? smile

BIAB is a pretty complex software, so I think it is overly optimistic to expect it to work flawlesly. I am actually surprised how stable it is. (Comparing with crashes in other software). I agree that it has quite a few bugs and strange aproaches, but I think the wise thing to do is to provide 1-2 sentence for each issue you are having with example (track that you have issues with) so people can replicate them and confirm. A lot of bugs (not all) get fixed when discussed here.

Veteran
Veteran
You probably know that, historically, a new upgrade is released each year around the beginning of December. An update right now makes little sense.

If you would like to seek solutions to these issues, may I suggest you start a separate post for each and give a good description. We can identify if an item is solvable now, or if it belongs as a separate request in the Wishlist. If it's a serious bug, some of us can make sure the developers know about it right away.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Rusty and Matt.
Start by proactively creating a thread for your biggest single complaint and provide sufficient detail including how you think the software should work vs how it's actually working. Folks here will work with you. Then rince & repeat with your other issues.

I have found that the better you can articulate your issue, the better folks here can help you; screen shots, like pictures, are worth a thousand words.
If they can't help you, but agree that it's a valid concern, it will certainly be brought to the attention of the developers.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Expert
Online Embarrased
Expert
Originellement posté par Bass Thumper
I agree with Rusty and Matt.
Start by proactively creating a thread for your biggest single complaint and provide sufficient detail including how you think the software should work vs how it's actually working. Folks here will work with you. Then rince & repeat with your other issues.

I have found that the better you can articulate your issue, the better folks here can help you; screen shots, like pictures, are worth a thousand words.
If they can't help you, but agree that it's a valid concern, it will certainly be brought to the attention of the developers.

He's been doing it for years, haven't you ever read it?

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted by Uwe Schwarz
I am really angry. No updates and bugfixes since July!!!
Providing a manual, which itself is not complete, with a bad chat clone is no help.

As a customer I feel ripped off!!!!!!!

I have only seen software in such an unstable state among amateur programmers.

Melodist jukebox still doesn't work!
Some melodists play harmony voices even though disabled!!
Window handling doesn't work properly!
Instrumentalists who don't take endings into account and just keep playing!
Function-based standard paths are constantly changing!
Audio and program performance are not up to date and bad!!!!
The standard procedure for errors is to reset to factory settings? Are you serious?
Anyone who seriously expects a faulty program to work without errors when reset to the standard settings is an idiot.
Your points are valid! (You'll notice no one argued against any of your specific complaints because we all suffer with them as well as many more; I guess we have a kind of BIAB Stockholm syndrome!) After more than 10 years of struggling with BIAB's bugs, GUI and documentation, I finally reached the understanding that it will always be so. Now, I use it just enough to get access to those sweet, amazing RealTracks! I avoid "advanced" features and most new features until they've had a year or two to debug them.

But in spite of the issues, I am delighted to send my money to PG Music every December because the RealTracks have absolutely changed my music life!

U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
Uwe,
difficult day? smile

BIAB is a pretty complex software, so I think it is overly optimistic to expect it to work flawlesly. I am actually surprised how stable it is. (Comparing with crashes in other software). I agree that it has quite a few bugs and strange aproaches, but I think the wise thing to do is to provide 1-2 sentence for each issue you are having with example (track that you have issues with) so people can replicate them and confirm. A lot of bugs (not all) get fixed when discussed here.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=97232&Number=723644#Post723644
Yes, it was a hard day.
All errors are still there!
I don't want to be a beta tester!
Cubase Pro is much more complex and gives me less headaches. That is not an excuse!
MelJoplin.st2 Melodist always plays with harmonies!
I think the melodist is not that important and doesn't care?
Windows appear in the background, not on top....
Unfortunately, I don't have the feeling that errors will be fixed quickly.
It's a real shame, but the amount of errors make working with this program a challenge that kills my creativity.

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Where can we send a box of tissues?

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
Hi Matt,
I have already tested the advice to simply buy the next version in 2022. I bought an update to 2023 for around 300 euros and the same problems! (Cubase 13 Pro update costs 99 euros!)
At BiaB I'm only interested in the melodist to get new ideas. Unfortunately, as is well known, it is associated with a number of problems. Some, like loading a melodist in the edit area, have also been fixed. But a lot of things are still shaky.
And that after 2! years.
Hi Bass Thumper,
Thanks for your input. I thought I had already done that.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=764088&#Post764088
Hi John,
BIAB Stockholm syndrome LOL.
If PG had cared a little more about program maintenance, I would have immediately been inclined to continue supporting her!
However, all of my experiences advise me against it!
Hi Byron Dickens,
Just bring it on. send it to me via an email attached.

Veteran
Veteran
Your post about the Melodist is very well done. I can’t help on that particular topic; I’ve never used it. Let’s see who responds and how the thread develops.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
B
I totally agree! I know all the fanboys on here won't like it but what if I decide to not upgrade to 2024? Are you telling me that I need to buy the next version to get fixes addressed. I probably won't go for 2024(I'm on 2023) because I'm suspicious of what kind of support I'll get in the future.
Oh, and by the way I did have a very good day today thank you very much!

Last edited by Badspike; 11/13/23 09:23 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I have been here for 14 years fighting to make it better and it's getting there slowly, I know only too well there are many issues but as JJJ said it's worth it just for the RealTracks.
I'll buy you 2024 and if you don't like it nothing lost.

B
B
Well, I'm sure PG will be happy with your response and no problem with that. But the way I look at it is that a relationship needs predictability. I've used BIAB for the last 6 years and what I've really liked about it is the timely fixes of issues. That's not there anymore! Obviously! It makes me suspicious that the investment in the product isn't being supported as it should be. We all do what we want and hey I love BIAB! But the relationship is being strained to say the least.

Last edited by Badspike; 11/13/23 10:18 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I remember when Biab/RB was released bi-annually but then they made the Mac version and a lot of time is spent on that as apple keep changing things so apps don't work anymore when they have weekly updates and upgrades. You also had the BBPlugin that uses Biab in the background so that has to be maintained when features and functions are added to the VST to communicate.
Hopefully the new BBPlugin will contain all the generate code and won't need Biab or the Biab programmers giving more time back to them to fix the main Biab issues when not working on the Mac version because of apple's screw ups. At least Biab is not totally neglectedware like RealBand.
EDIT: also there could very well be lots of time going into the 2024 version because of big changes ???

Last edited by musocity; 11/13/23 11:56 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I admit, despite all the issues and shortcomings, I am a fanboy of BIAB. Simply because it does what I need it to do (for the most part) and of course yearly dosage of Rt/Rd/Midi content. But I do understand folks who are trying to use it primarely for a very focused task(s). Certainly, some items need improvement.

Well... There is option to wait until version is released and ask if a particular option was solved before upgrading, or buy the program, and if particular issue still persist, ask customer service right away for a solution. If not addressed in 29 days, ask for money back.

Veteran
Veteran
Wow, the anger is wild.
It's imperfect.
Some folk as far too sanguine about "progress" and others want it all & want it last year....SwingBaby was, and sometimes still is, an example of the latter.
My problem is that I don't require the program to be everything, in all places at all times so I work with what works when it arrives if it "works" for me.
The prog seems to have been BETA'd reasonably well but bugs pop up and are usually addressed fairly quickly.
As Musocity stated - it's worth it for the RealTracks alone.
He's also the sort of person who puts personal effort, skills and creativity into bringing the baby up.
I find things like the melodist pretty useless in the 1st instance - always too busy, too many notes and, realistically, it's isn't style flexible.
Then again I'm not into midi much so taking the melodist track and editing it to get something to suit me is something I could do but can't be bothered with - I just build from chord tones & extend a little bit.
I buy an update when it has the RTs I'm interested in plus some extra functionality that works for me. I've not bothered when the updates were more MIDI based and have, in that instance, bought the RT packs after the release to, again, get what I want.
The slower run of fixes does suggest something has taken priority and may be something significant.
There's nothing wrong with waiting beyond the discounted early bird deal time frame and there's not always a NEED to update.

Last edited by rayc; 11/14/23 03:05 AM. Reason: Finishing train of thought.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Well said Ray, BiaB does have some bugs, but what software doesn't. let's face it this software does more than half a dozen other programs rolled into one. Does it do everything perfect. Heck no! can you name one that does? use it for what it does well and find away to do the other things until that issue is addressed.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm also a big, huge fan of BIAB. And yes, I also find bugs and problems, very often. But I still keep using and buying it because of all the amazing things that BIAB can do.
Now, having said all that, I wish that PG Music would take a sort of "sabbatical" year, for example, version 2025 would be:
- no new features (at all !!!)
- just bug fixes, interface improvements, streamlined workflow etc
- maybe (if possibile) new realtracks as usual, but that should NOT be the priority
- obviously, cheaper upgrade to the new "streamlined" version
One year to fix all the issues, streamline the interface, clean up everything. I would gladly pay for that.

L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Jon Thomas
streamline the interface, clean up everything. I would gladly pay for that.

Yep, exactly that for me too. It's just been a cluttered mess since the beginning and continues to get worse.
Better filtering to find styles and realtracks for a start. Anytime I want to find something I'm pretty much presented only with the option to click and audition from a choice of hundreds, maybe thousands of irrelevant styles. Genre categories mean little and you can't filter them, despite the menu option giving you the impression you can.
Too many unnecessary menu options etc, the list goes on. I'd do a lot more with BIAB but sometimes just can't be bothered.
Giving us more realtracks as the main update feature is not going to attract me, it will just add more to the mess.
Although, if regenerate drums is in 2024, then maybe I'll be tempted smile

Veteran
Veteran
I agree with both Jon and Lee.
I get out of BiaB as soon as I can because the menu system and the fact I can do things much easier in my DAW; remember I work with MIDI.
Unfortunately for me RTs are PGM cash cow. I believe the majority of BiaB/RB users use them, some exclusively and I find no fault with that. But they will live with BiaB/RB as it is right now because of those RTs. YMMV

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,651
Posts735,444
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176