Print Thread
Go To
#786640 12/05/23 03:44 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
JosV Offline OP
OP Offline
J
In a certain bar I have an A chord, but what I hear sometimes is clearly A7. How do I tell BIAB not to play A7 there, but just the straight A chord?

JosV #786644 12/05/23 03:59 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jos.

There are a couple settings that I would try.

1) In Song Settings (right click on the chordsheet and choose "Song Settings"), set the "Natural Arrangement" to disabled (this is a dropdown menu). Disabling it will stop BIAB from modifying some chord progression sequences. This will probably fix your problem.

2) If the problem still exists after changing the above, also in Song Settings there is an option to "Force Simple Arrangement". That will also help.

After making these changes, you will need to unfreeze any tracks and regenerate the song for the changes to take effect.

Hope this helps,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
JosV #786645 12/05/23 04:05 AM
J
JosV Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks Noel , I just tried both settings, but still have the same problem.
I asked Chat GP and got this answer

------------------------------------------
To tell Band-in-a-Box not to play A7 in that bar and instead play the straight A chord, you can use the RealTracks Settings dialog. Here's how you can access it:

Press the [Prefs] button in the RealTracks Settings dialog.
In the RealTracks Settings dialog, locate the track that corresponds to the A chord.
In the "Holds" column for that track, check if there is a number or an "n" listed. If there is a number, it means that the RealTrack supports shots, holds, and pushes. If there is an "n", it means that the RealTrack supports them, but you don't have the necessary Holds files.
Assuming you have the necessary Holds files, you can now use Band-in-a-Box as you normally would. Type the chords with shots (C..), holds (C...), or pushes (^C or ^^C for 8th or 16th note push), or combinations of push and hold (^C....).
If you want to specifically prevent A7 from being played, make sure you don't include any periods (...) after the A chord. This will indicate to Band-in-a-Box that you want the straight A chord to be played instead of A7.
By following these steps, you can customize the chords played by Band-in-a-Box and ensure that only the straight A chord is played in that particular bar.
---------------

Doesn't make sense to me!

JosV #786647 12/05/23 04:30 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Chat GP is not correct. The three dots do not say "I want this chord played as written". They always mean "I want to hold this chord until another chord is played". I'm guessing that the hold chord is always played as written, but I'm not sure about that.

If you are still getting A7, these are things that will cause.

1) Did you save an audio file of your song? If you did, BIAB will load this in automatically when you open the song file and it will play. If this file contained A7, you will hear that. Trying muting your Audio track to see if a song file is present.

2) Did you unfreeze all your tracks and regenerate the song? This is necessary as it is through the regeneration process that BIAB puts the changes in place. If tracks are frozen, they will not be generated with new material.

3) There could be an incorrect mapping for the chord. This sometimes happens. When it does, PG Music need to re-map the chords in the audio file from which a particular track was generated.

4) Isolate which track or tracks are playing the 7th. This is usually easy to do by ear. If you want to see the notes, and you are familiar with a piano keyboard, use the Piano tab on the mixer and watch the chord play. Double check if there is a G (the 7th) being played when you hit the A chord.

I hope these ideas help.
--Noel

P.S. Chat GP is correct regarding a setting for 7ths in Realtracks preferences (I missed this one before). If you open the Realtracks Prefs ("Options | Preferences | Realtracks"), there is a setting for "On jazz realtracks, jazz up triads to sevenths".

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #786824 12/05/23 02:52 PM
J
JosV Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for your answer. Much appreciated!

1 and 2 are not the problem, there's an audio track with just vocals, and the tracks are not frozen.
3 How does this remapping work?
4 It's only one particular track (acousic guitar). I tried the "simple" option but is keeps playing the 7th (G) sometimes.

In the realtracks prefs the box for "jazz up" is unchecked. It's not a jazz realtrack anyway but a country track, so I guess it shouldn't matter.

Best regards,
Jos

JosV #786828 12/05/23 03:14 PM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
The acoustic guitar track should be able to be edited in Notation to change the A7 to A without any issues.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
JosV #786836 12/05/23 04:16 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I put a short article in the Tips and Tricks forum that may help. The name is something like When BIAB doesn’t quite play the chords you wrote.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
JosV #786837 12/05/23 04:18 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Jos,

Mapping is not something that a user can do. What you need to do is to freeze all the tracks on your song when the error is present and then send the file to pgmusic via email. Make a note of which bar and which instrument has the problem. Once PG Music is alerted, the development team will eventually correct the issue at the first opportunity.

What Charlie is referring to is using Playable Realtracks. The video clip below explains how they work.

A potentially easier solution would be to right-click on the Acoustic Guitar track in the mixer window and then select "Track Settings". After that, select "Auto fix sour notes" using the "Chords" option.

It's also possible to...

(1) Enter into the Audio Edit window.
(2) Set the "Snap" to on.
(3) Select the problem bar.
(4) Make sure the Acoustic Guitar is selected.
(5) Click on Edit.
(6) Select "Generate" and then "Select and generate Realtracks".
(7) If you don't like what's generated, regenerate again. (Also CTRL+Z will undo the generation if you want to return to the previous one.)

This will cause just the selected area to be regenerated while the rest of the track remains the same. If you search Help for Audio Edit, you will find the an explanation as to how this works.

Regards,
--Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 12/05/23 04:21 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
JosV #786845 12/05/23 05:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Further to my previous post...

Partial re-generation is a very, very powerful tool and it's worth taking the time to understand it. The below video clip gives a good insight into this feature. The section on re-generation starts at 10:30 (hopefully the link will take you to that spot).

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
JosV #786848 12/05/23 05:24 PM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hey Noel! Here is the same video starting where you wanted,

"https://youtu.be/ote3tifBuio?feature=shared&t=630"

Looks like the forum ignores the start time when the video is embedded.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 12/05/23 05:26 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by JohnJohnJohn
Hey Noel! Here is the same video starting where you wanted,

"https://youtu.be/ote3tifBuio?feature=shared&t=630"

Looks like the forum ignores the start time when the video is embedded.

Thanks John. I appreciate it smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
JosV #786946 12/06/23 03:25 AM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< 4 It's only one particular track (acousic guitar). I tried the "simple" option but is keeps playing the 7th (G) sometimes. >>

You can also use the Audio Edit Window to copy/paste an A from another bar and replace the A7 chord. Do this with every bar you want to replace the a7

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
JosV #787142 12/06/23 02:56 PM
J
JosV Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Okay, thanks for all your answers. I appreciate it very much.
Partial regeneration is what I'll try next!
Question remains though: why won't BiaB simply play exactly the A chord as entered. If I wanted an 7th chord I would have put an A7. I doesn't seem logical to me.

Regards, Jos

JosV #787157 12/06/23 04:07 PM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by JosV
Question remains though: why won't BiaB simply play exactly the A chord as entered. If I wanted an 7th chord I would have put an A7. I doesn't seem logical to me.

Regards, Jos

If it's a RealTrack instrument, its pre-recorded audio and the phrasing for the song progression you're using it's likely the session musician played a7.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogle
If it's a RealTrack instrument, its pre-recorded audio and the phrasing for the song progression you're using it's likely the session musician played a7.
I was thinking exactly the same thing except the O/P mentioned that sometimes it plays an A and other times it plays an A7. So the session musician must have recorded both, unless perhaps the O/P was experimenting with different Styles / RealTracks?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
JosV #787188 12/06/23 05:38 PM
Veteran
Veteran

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
JosV #787224 12/06/23 07:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by JosV

Regards, Jos
Hi Jos,
This is what I mean by "mapping". I don't know if PG Music use this terminology. It's simply a word that does the job for me.

What happens with Realtracks, is that the performer plays a predetermined sequence of chords across a number of keys and creates a number of audio track. If you go to the \bb\Realtracks folder and have a listen to some of the audio files, you'll hear what I mean.

After this is done, PG Music map where in the audio specific chords occur. These time-based audio coordinates are then used by BIAB when it reads the chordsheet and dices and splices chords together to create a backing track. In the original audio, it's possible that sometimes the mapping that exists for an A chord also includes an A7. This means that when you generate a song, sometimes you get A and sometimes you get A7. When PG Music know about this error, they can redefine/re-map the time coordinates so that A7 is no longer present in the A-chord section.

This is why freezing all the song file tracks when the error is present, and then sending a copy of the frozen-track file to PG Music is the first step in correcting the mistake. Because the file is frozen, when PG Music generate it, they will get the same error that is present in the file. So if you tell them which bars to listen to, they will hear the same thing as you. PG Music will then know what the problem is and they will correct it with an adjusted interpretation of the Realtrack's audio. Ultimately, this will be sent to users when BIAB is updated.

I hope this helps explain things.
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
I was thinking exactly the same thing except the O/P mentioned that sometimes it plays an A and other times it plays an A7. So the session musician must have recorded both, unless perhaps the O/P was experimenting with different Styles / RealTracks?
I agree but I also guessed that playing the chord progression, the session musician may have played the a7 on more occasions than a the A, generation or partial regeneration would select the a7 more often. Just guessing though.

Veteran
Veteran
I agree but I also guessed that playing the chord progression, the session musician may have played the a7 on more occasions than a the A, generation or partial regeneration would select the a7 more often. Just guessing though.
I absolutely agree, Charlie. It's most likely that the session musician recorded many different inversions and variations in the respective chords. I've heard many endings that end on a 7th, when in fact the required chord was a straight major. Poetic license?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Noel96 #787546 12/07/23 06:32 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
So the session musician must have recorded both
Correct

Originally Posted by Noel96
This is why freezing all the song file tracks when the error is present, and then sending a copy of the frozen-track file to PG Music is the first step in correcting the mistake.
Exactly. With a frozen file, we can get the exact timestamp of which file it's in, making corrections much easier.

If you freeze the tracks and email the SGU to support@pgmusic.com we can forward it on to the devs.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,646
Posts735,421
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.