Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
1.the problem.

some budget audio interfaces dont have enough gain for some microphones....often dynamic mics....thus a user has to crank the mic pre gain on the interface near its max.

2..the solution.

although my interface has enough gain as i use a condenser mic
for my vocals often....(i do loads of vocal tracks...)...
ive been interested for some time in testing out what is known as an IN LINE PREAMP...and see what results i might get.
the advantage being that one doesnt need to crank the input gain as much on the interface.
basically the in line preamp connects tween the microphone and the
mic pre input of the interface....and the ilp is powered by the interface 48 v phantom power.
there are various manufacturers of ilp's.

the one ive been testing for some time is the triton fet head....with around 20 db gain....and bottom line i am impressed with its quality and performance. there are cheaper ilp's out there and more expensive.
as i understand it the triton uses high qua!ity low noise jfet's.
so why am i impressed ?
basically...ive used in commercial studios very high end pricey mic preamps in the past....and compareing my vocals on songs done useing that pro gear...the fethead plus my audient interface holds up very well.
(i like the audient mic pre's plus its very low latency and lack of hassles.)
considering the very low total price of audient interface plus fethead...i cant find anything i can complain about...in fact i love the results i am getting and the character or mojo of my recorded vocals.

all 3 songs on soundcloud in my sig used the fethead/audient combo.
if anyone wants a listen...use earbuds...
..the pretty girls old skool song is my love for my lovely wife..
and by contrast..
..the stallion is a rocker inspired by a neighbour that purchased an amazeing car that goes like the proverbial clappers...and..
..banker man...my first bluegrass song that came about because i was helping a pg user who is into bluegrass. so i thought why not try the genre and see if i fall flat on my face.
ie a challenge. so far folks have told me they like the three songs.

thanks fethead cos....all three songs used the fethead/audient combo on my vocals and .just the pg dx plug ins which i like.

bottom line...the fethead ilp is a keeper imho.and is part of my signal chain now. note...there are various models of fethead for both dynamic ribbon and condenser mics.
ive been meaning to post the above for some time...but been busy.
hope this helps someone with the problem of not enough audio interface gain. even if you DO have a nice interface you might want to research and even demo a fethead or competitor and see if it floats your boat.

ps...in case anyone is thinking...as these are crazy times...i have no link with triton nor have a received any compenstion. this is my own little helper post in case a pg user has the problem outlined in the intro.

link is...
www.tritonaudio.com

merry xmas to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/16/23 10:01 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Others on the market are the CloudLifter, and the one I’ve used for several years, the dBooster from Royer.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Matt.

merry xmas.

fyi...klark technic make a very inexpensive ilp.
i chose the triton cos so many people seemed happy.

fyi ive contacted a few well known interface manufacturers and suggested the following....
..some pro mic pres can provide a gain range over 75 db and more.
one problem is of course people involved in recording distant nature sounds etc.
..powerfull extra headphone outs.
..second set of speaker outs.

one option ive heard people try is useing a normal audio mixer with direct outs post mic pre and then into interface input.
why have direct outs disappeared on lots of gear...lol...?
only budget audio mixer ive found with direct outs or inserts is soundcraft epm 8.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/16/23 06:20 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
Others on the market are the CloudLifter, and the one I’ve used for several years, the dBooster from Royer.
Besides boosting, they correct the impedance mismatch that affects Shure and a few other dynamic mics. See below for a link to an excellent article on the subject.

All of the ones you mention are good. Unfortunately, I must caution against the Klark Teknik Mic Boosters. These are brought to you by the same company that owns Behringer. Although some products are now good, I can't say that about the mic boosters which are cheap, poorly made and often noisy. This is too bad since they are the least expensive ones out there.

Triton Audio also makes variations on the FETHead that don't exist anywhere else. Besides owning a quartet of the dynamic mic version, I own a couple for boosting headroom on some of my condenser mics, too.

My favorite is the variable impedance Cloudlifter CL-Z . I only own one and wish it wasn't so pricey. It is my go-to for any of my ribbon mics and I use the variableΩ knob to tune low end response.

It's easy to make the variable Ω box to use between your mic and any other booster. All you need is a small, metal box, a little wire, a pair of surface mount XLR jacks (one each M & F), a 1kΩ variable resistor and a knob. Here's an article on impedance and dynamic mics that explains what such a box does and how to make an in-line version with a fixed Ω.

A properly terminated SM57 can be a really flattering mic with a nice top and smooth bottom—unlike the normal response generated by plugging into a 1300Ω–2400Ω solid state PA system, mixer or interface. Those were designed for the 600Ω Bell telephone standard that tube preamps were normally built to before the 1970s—so was the Vocal Master PA if anyone remembers those.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I've used a number of these inline preamps, but so far I haven't found one that's worth keeping. I've also built a few DIY ones, some of which are really good, but still more often than not I just plug straight in - even with my SM7B's.

In general, if your mic preamp has enough gain and a low enough noise floor, these inline preamps can actually add more noise. For me, I had better results just with my preamps.

However, everyone's situation is different - I'm an electronics technician, and for the most part I use preamps that I custom designed and built (which also have an impedance control). My Focusrite 18i20's preamps are also stellar. However if like most people you're using whatever's in your interface then most likely you'll see some improvement.

Basically what I'm saying is, adding more electronics to the signal chain is not necessarily better.

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.

not heard from you awhile...
merry xmas.

as i said ive compared with other vocs i have done in big studios.
maybe you wont like em...but im pretty pleased with the 3 songs vocs in my sig that used the fet head...but my fethead/mic combo is different.
my fethead is the one for condenser mics. the vocs in my sig used fethead plus condenser mic.

i searched for a diy schematic but couldnt find one re jfets.

happiness.

om

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Simon - PG Music
... adding more electronics to the signal chain is not necessarily better.
I thought precisely the same, though the subject line is about lack of gain.
If one has a good preamp, then they really should not be needed. A curiosity to me was the use of JFETs, which are not as quiet as good bipolars and struggle even to equal a good IC OpAmp.

But JOM seemed to like them.
Matt seemed to like them,
Mike seemed to think they had benefits, though mostly the variable impedance ones. (I wonder which method they use to do that).

For little more than the cost of a pair of FET-Heads, one can buy a Focusrite 2i2, a UA Volt 2, or others.

I do wonder how much the supposed benefits are purely psychological ... I've paid for this, the manufacturer says it's better, so it must be better. I note that Triton don't actually publish a detailed spec, but I also note that many preamps don't list gain ranges.

FWIW, I once had a Hi-Fi store demonstration have me doubting my assertion that cables cannot be directional, until I realised that their own bias was causing them to turn the volume slightly higher for the "correct direction".

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
gordon.

merry x to you.

no confirmation bias here. i have a good relationship with my local gear store....i can send back stuff i dont like.

from my digging apparently the triton doesnt use the run of the mill jfets.
i saw i think on you tube someone tested for noise at minus 130 db.
considering lots of mics are minus 55 db so i dont worry.

om

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by justanoldmuso
gordon.

merry x to you.

no confirmation bias here. i have a good relationship with my local gear store....i can send back stuff i dont like.

from my digging apparently the triton doesnt use the run of the mill jfets.
i saw i think on you tube someone tested for noise at minus 130 db.
considering lots of mics are minus 55 db so i dont worry.

om
One has to be very wary of dB. For anything meaningful like this it needs a reference. Just dB alone is only a ratio and unless one knows to what, it's. The figure for the microphones is related to a sound level (94dB SPL), whilst the preamp is typically to 1mW in 600R (1.228Vrms). Picking a good dynamic mic at random (AKG D5) I see 2.5mV/Pascal, or 54 dB below that 1mW into 600R. The actual noise from a dynamic mic is substantially due just to the thermal noise of the resistance of the coil (not the impedance).

Unfortunately, comparing the -130dBu with -55dB/Pa is a bit like comparing apples with boomerangs.

Out of curiosity I had a (quick) look at some low noise transistors and found that at least some JFETs do now claim similar noise voltage performance to BJTs, so maybe my scepticism about JFETs may be out of date, though the comparisons are also not simple. Either way, both BJTs and JFETs are not so far removed from the room-temperature thermal noise of a low-value resistor, so close to the limits of physics.

Hmmm ... I guess that will go straight over the head of more than a few. Ho Hum.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
yep nothing is simple.

I understand some jfets now have less than 1nv root hz.
but im not a authority on jfets of course.

for more info on the fethead i like the julian krause vids on all manner of devices for recording including interfaces....he is thourough in his testing.
he hasnt put me wrong yet mate....he does a vid on testing the fethead.

merry x.

om

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Since we’re getting more into specifics, let me explain why I use one. Two reasons: first, I use a ribbon mic from Royer to record my horns and the gain from them is normally lower. Second, I have quite a long cable run between the room where I record and room with my DAW.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Since we’re getting more into specifics, let me explain why I use one. Two reasons: first, I use a ribbon mic from Royer to record my horns and the gain from them is normally lower. Second, I have quite a long cable run between the room where I record and room with my DAW.
Both good reasons and thanks for explaining.
Edit: Not that you needed to explain, but I was curious.

Yes, ribbon mics are another issue altogether. Some preamps for them use multiple amplifiers in parallel to reduce the input resistance and thence the noise, and also to do a trick with the summing. All wanted signals are in phase, but noise from each amplifier is random, giving around a 3dB signal to noise improvement every time one doubles the number of amplifiers.

With long cables, the 'other' noise issue of 50Hz/60Hz also comes into play. It may no longer be just the hiss.

JOM ... the JFETs I found with my quick look were 1.2nV per root Hertz, matching your numbers closely. That's "typical" of course. BJTs can be slightly lower, but there's now next to nothing in it. I'm not so sure from memory how well the fA per root Hertz figure affects things in real circuits.

Around 40 years ago I built a preamp with a JFET input and just about everyone told me I was silly to do so because BJTs were quieter. I replied then that my main noise issue was being about 1 mile line-of-sight from a 10MW TV transmitter. His wasn't the problem, the frame-rate signal was. BJTs rectified the signal and injected the hum. JFETs didn't.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 12/19/23 11:13 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
... Hmmm ... I guess that will go straight over the head of more than a few.

If it makes you smile; I felt my hair move faintly as it went over mine ..
To me if it sounds better it IS better

My last couple interfaces have seemed to be fine for me, but I don't have any ribbon mics
When I needed a boost in the past, the venerable Studio Projects VTB1 was fine .. but that's just me
Impedance adjustment and additive tube effect worked a treat at times on various instruments (mic, DI insert, etc)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
FWIW, I once had a Hi-Fi store demonstration have me doubting my assertion that cables cannot be directional, until I realised that their own bias was causing them to turn the volume slightly higher for the "correct direction".
I've been to that store! They claim that electrons move faster in the more expensive cable, which gives better sound.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by rharv
... Hmmm ... I guess that will go straight over the head of more than a few.

If it makes you smile; I felt my hair move faintly as it went over mine ..
To me if it sounds better it IS better
Not everyone has the luxury of feeling their hair move laugh

Sounding better to you is all that really matters, other perhaps than cost.

I've been to that store! They claim that electrons move faster in the more expensive cable, which gives better sound.
Higher quality cable can be better, particularly with microphone cables and speaker cables, but "faster electrons" is definitely pure hokum. In the case of microphone cables it's usually better screening, tighter twist and less microphony, in speaker cable it's lower impedance, i.e. mostly thicker. Gold flashed/plated connector contacts are sensible. Beyond those things it's pretty much all hype.

Hmm, the speaker cables to my Tannoys are transmission-line cable, which might have a benefit in controlling parasitic capacitance and inductance. They weren't totally crazy money. The fact that they're about 6mm^2 is probably more important.

Veteran
Veteran
I've been using focusrite interfaces which are well known for their strong and crystal clean preamps. I've used both condenser and dynamic mics ( Rode NT2A & SM-58) without any problems.

I had actually thought a couple of times about getting a preamp. Not so much for the gain, because most of the time I'm easily in the 50% to 60% gain range, but more for the color that certain preamps are known for. Some tend to have a warmer sound or a more rounded and smooth frequency response in certain parts of their upper ranges. Knowing that the cheaper ones tend to be.... Let's say, not quite so good, I've avoided the temptation to buy a pre. The better ones are north of my discretionary budget limits and I don't know, based on my mixing skill level, whether the subtle differences from the preamp would be noticeable to the average listener and thereby worth the outlay of hundreds of dollars.

It's possible now to use a saturation plug to add color to the mic's output. With several to choose from, it's easy enough to use one. Yeah it's not a $1000 preamp with a signature coloration, but for me..... It works well enough. And nobody is complaining about that specific issue.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
Expert
But JOM seemed to like them.
Matt seemed to like them,
Mike seemed to think they had benefits, though mostly the variable impedance ones. (I wonder which method they use to do that).
The same method I explained on how to build your own. We can do a separate thread on that.

I loooove the mystic mumbo-jumbo surrounding cables. The PT Barnum effect is strong in that market. Have you read "Speaker Wire A History" by Roger Russell, the former Director of Acoustic Research for McIntosh Labs on that nonsense? There are a number of links but a straight through read is most educational. I'm surprised the industry let him live after writing that.

As an aside, I use star-quad mic and connecting cable in my studio. It's smack-dab in the middle of the Silicon Valley and EMF & other interference is quite strong around here. Star-quad is about -20dB quieter where I am than standard balanced cable. This is one of those situations where, if you can't hear a difference, there is none but where I am, it's quite noticeable. I use SESCOM Canare Star-quad Custom Cables from Markertek. A 25' cable in any of eight colors costs $25 — that's less than name brand cables at Guitar Center et all. I just love reading how a $89 Mogami oxygen free cable sounds different — even if we mortals can't hear and instruments can't sense the difference. (SESCOM will use Mogami star-quad on request but it's fragile and they don't recommend lengths over 6').

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Veteran
Using a cloud lifter or other inline boost is doable but it's rare to find an interface these days that doesn't have sufficient preamp gain. The price of a good inline boost is comparable with a decent, albeit not big brand, interface like the very cheap and reasonable specs of the Behringer UMC202 for example, (65 quid at Andertons) while the Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1 Single Channel Powered Microphone Preamp is 175 quid at the same store. On a bulk buy you could get three interfaces for the price of one inline pre.
The value of an inline pre is well assessed by Julian Krauss:
and
If you REALLY love the sound of your low sensitivity microphone then I can understand the desire to add the inline but why not address the real problem by getting a better interface? Naturally people's experience, equipment, understanding, taste, objectivity and hearing will vary.

Last edited by rayc; 12/28/23 03:23 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
The same method I explained on how to build your own. We can do a separate thread on that.
I presume that means a resistance straight across the signal as mentioned in the article to which you'd linked.
That may raise the noise level a bit, but it should be a fairly small increase, presuming a decent resistor type. The mic's impedance should help keep the effect low and a plain old resistor is nicely predictable. FWIW, personally I think I'd go for a fixed resistor inside an inline connector if using that method, variable resistors being a bit of a microphony risk.

If the loading resolves the smoothness issues of the mic, though, then the preamp itself would appear redundant.

Those Sescom cables seem pretty good value for star quad, though not quite so good after I realised the length was feet not metres laugh.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
all.

interestingly enough one of the reasons i got a fethead was not just positives i had heard about it but also krauses positive review.
and im not disappointed.

fyi its interesting that more dynamic mics are getting built in boosters.eg the shure sm 7b...im sure we will see more of this.

also fyi ive suggested to a couple of usb interface companies it might be usefull to include variable impedence mic inputs.

the only device ive seen for var impedence is the art rp1..
dunno if any good.

one thing ive often wanted to do at various times is get into recording distant nature sounds in the various countries ive lived in.
field recording can be a challenge...and im not sure if a low gain usb mic pre could handle that....i have no experience at field recording cept years back when i failed at it re noise etc.
lol...you cant get close to a pride of lions.

gordon...heres a challenge.
one of the problems with diy mic pres useing op amps is need for + -
supplies for the op amps as you know.
see if you can come up with a easy to build mic pre useing single supply op amp with low noise and high gain with xlr in for mic...
plus variable input impedence. ive never seen a schem yet...its all dual rail supplies.

happy.new year.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/28/23 07:53 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,673
Posts735,752
Members38,535
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen, Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra
38,534 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176