Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube
paddy50 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

I want to share something I've been working on with you. This is a video of a session where I'm interacting and training my BIAB virtual assistant.

A couple of weeks ago openAI opened up the ability for chatGPT Plus users to create and train custom versions of chatGPT. I started creating one to be my virtual assistant for Band-in-a-Box. I recorded a session of interacting with it to perform tasks such as creating chord progression, converting them into songs, and creatively rearranging them into different layouts, etc. During the session I take note of things it did correctly and things it didn't perform to my expectations and then I try to train it to do better. It is generating some really nice compositions on the fly and starting to make some real progress!

If you have a chatGPT Plus account you can try this for yourself at BIAB Creative Assistant

Please keep in mind that I'm still working on it and results can vary in quality. Sometimes it doesn't get the last line of code right and sometimes it just gets lost. Anyhow, do have some fun and you can put comments here in this forum thread and I'll check them to see if you point out something that I need to fix, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is the video transcript so you can see how it works
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me:
Please select a random genre and compose something for me.

chatchatGPT::
Sure, I'll create a musical composition for you. Let's choose the genre of Jazz for this composition. Jazz often features complex chords and progressions, making it an exciting genre to work with. I'll select a suitable template from the provided templates and create a unique and diverse progression. Let's compose this piece in the key of Bb major, a common key in jazz music.

Now, I'll fill in the template with an original chord progression:

“Randomly Generated Jazz Composition (Key of Bb Major)”

(chatGPT generates and displays the code)

This progression starts with a classic II-V-I in Bb major, followed by some interesting variations and modal changes to add flavor and depth to the composition. The use of secondary dominants and minor ii-V progressions enriches the harmonic landscape, typical of jazz. The final bar resolves back to the tonic, Bbmaj7, providing a sense of completion.

Feel free to copy and paste this output into your Band-in-a-Box program to hear how it sounds. Remember, this progression can be rearranged into a different template or expanded into a full song structure upon request. For the best listening experience, I recommend using the audiophile version of BIAB, as it contains all available styles.

Me:
Sounds nice. Can you expand it to make it a bit longer as I see it is fairly short.

chatGPT:
Absolutely, I can expand this jazz composition to create a more complete song structure. I'll follow a standard jazz format with a head (main theme), a solo section, and a return to the head, adding a bridge for variety. This will provide a fuller jazz experience and more room for improvisation and thematic development.

“Expanded Jazz Composition (Key of Bb Major)”

In this expanded format, the head section introduces the main theme and sets the mood. The bridge offers a contrast, often modulating to different keys or presenting new melodic ideas. The solo sections provide space for improvisation over the chord changes. We then return to the head to restate the main theme and tie the piece together, ending with a resolution on the tonic chord, Bbmaj7.

This structure should offer a more in-depth and varied jazz experience. Copy and paste this progression into your Band-in-a-Box program to listen to how it unfolds. The arrangement can still be customized further if needed.

Me:
That sounds really nice. I'm listening to it using a big band style. What other style would you recommend that this would sound good?

chatGPT:
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the composition with a big band style! Jazz compositions can take on a completely different character depending on the style you choose in Band-in-a-Box. For your jazz composition in the key of Bb major, here are a few other styles that would complement it beautifully:

Cool Jazz Style: This style, characterized by a more relaxed tempo and lighter tone, would give your composition a laid-back feel. It's great for accentuating the melodic aspects of your composition and would work well with the chord progressions I provided.

Bebop Style: For a more energetic and complex interpretation, bebop style with its fast tempo and intricate melodies can add a lot of excitement to the piece. It's ideal if you're focusing on improvisation and intricate rhythmic patterns.

Smooth Jazz Style: Smooth jazz would provide a modern, polished sound with an emphasis on melody and groove. This style often incorporates elements of R&B and pop, making it a great choice if you're looking for a more contemporary jazz sound.

Jazz Trio (Piano, Bass, Drums): A classic jazz trio setup can bring an intimate and focused sound to your composition, highlighting the harmonic and rhythmic complexities.
Latin Jazz Style: Adding a Latin jazz flair with its distinctive rhythms (like Bossa Nova or Samba) can bring a fresh, energetic, and danceable character to the piece.

Remember, each style in Band-in-a-Box can bring out different aspects of your composition, so feel free to experiment with various styles to find the one that best suits the mood and character you're aiming for. The audiophile version of BIAB, which I've been trained on, offers a wide range of styles to choose from, allowing for extensive customization of your musical experience.

Me:
The jazz trio might be nice. What real track is that so I can easily find it in BIAB?

chatGPT:
Based on the information from my knowledge source, for a Jazz Trio style in Band-in-a-Box, you can consider using one of the RealTracks that feature a combination of piano, bass, and drums, which is typical for a jazz trio setting. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate a specific RealTrack number for a Jazz Trio in the material I have.

However, Band-in-a-Box has a feature called "StylePicker" where you can easily find styles by genre. You can use this feature to search for Jazz Trio styles. Here are some steps to help you find an appropriate Jazz Trio style:

Open Band-in-a-Box.

Go to the "StylePicker" window.

In the "Filter String" box or search area, type in keywords like "Jazz Trio."

The program will show a list of styles that match the search criteria. You can listen to demos of these styles to find one that suits your composition.

This approach will allow you to explore various Jazz Trio styles and find one that complements your composition perfectly. Remember, each style can bring a unique feel and interpretation to your music, so feel free to experiment with a few different options!

Me:
This is very interesting. What other capabilities do you have?

chatGPT:
I'm designed specifically to assist with creating and modifying musical compositions for use with Band-in-a-Box (BIAB) software. Here's a summary of what I can do:

Generate New Chord Progressions: I can create original chord progressions based on a specified genre or at random. I'll choose a suitable template and fill it with chords to create a unique and diverse progression.

Expand Chord Progressions into Song Structures: I can expand basic chord progressions into full song formats, like intro, verse, chorus, bridge, and outro. This includes creating structures for specific genres like jazz, with standard formats featuring a head, solo sections, and a bridge.

Rearrange and Reinterpret Existing Progressions: If you provide a chord progression from BIAB, I can rewrite it to create a new, unique progression while maintaining the original key and tonality.

Recommend BIAB Styles: Based on the genre and character of your composition, I can suggest appropriate BIAB styles to enhance your listening experience. This includes recommending RealTracks and RealDrums from the vast library available in BIAB, especially the audiophile version.

Music Theory Guidance: In generating new or rewriting chord progressions, I'll provide insights based on music theory, explaining the choice of chords and their roles in the overall harmonic context.

Customization Options: I offer options to rearrange chord progressions into different template layouts or to expand them into more complex song structures, based on your requests.
BIAB Software Guidance: While I can't operate the software directly, I can provide guidance on using BIAB features like StylePicker, applying RealTracks, and understanding the software's notation and chord symbols.

Remember, my primary focus is on creating and modifying chord progressions for use in BIAB, ensuring that they are musically sound and creatively inspiring. For any other specific requests related to BIAB or music composition, feel free to ask!

Me:
I'm going to go find a new BIAB demo and paste it here for you to see what you can do to maybe rearrange it and possibly expand it into a song.

chatGPT:
That sounds great! Once you have the Band-in-a-Box demo code, paste it here, and I'll be happy to rearrange it and possibly expand it into a full song structure for you. Whether you're looking for a different take on the progression, a new format, or an expansion into various song sections, I'll tailor the composition to your preferences while ensuring it remains musically cohesive and interesting. Looking forward to seeing the demo code you choose!

Me:
I basically did a blindfold pick. I copied the code and am pasting it here for you. It is in the key of Bb.

(I pasted in a code for chatGPT to analyze and reinterpret)

chatGPT:
Thank you for sharing the Band-in-a-Box demo code. Let's first rearrange it to create a new and unique chord progression, maintaining the key of Bb major. After that, I will expand it into a full song structure.

In this rearrangement, I've introduced more seventh chords and altered some chords to provide a smoother, more harmonically rich progression. The use of ii-V-I progressions and related minor chords adds depth and a classic jazz feel to the piece.

Now, let's expand this into a full song structure:

This expanded structure follows a more traditional song form with an intro, verses, choruses, a bridge, and an outro. The progression is designed to provide contrast between sections while maintaining a cohesive overall feel.

You can copy and paste this output into your Band-in-a-Box program to hear how it sounds. The chords can be further rearranged into a different template upon request or customized to your preference.

Me:
That sounds very busy. Can you rewrite it with a more relaxed feel with perhaps not so many chord changes per bar?

chatGPT:
Certainly! I'll create a more relaxed version of the progression with fewer chord changes per bar, focusing on a smoother, more laid-back feel. This approach will give each chord more space and time to resonate, fitting well with a more relaxed jazz or ballad style.

In this revision, I've extended the duration of each chord, reducing the number of changes. This allows for a more relaxed feel, as each chord has more time to establish the mood. The progression still maintains a jazz character but with a more laid-back and spacious ambiance.

Feel free to copy and paste this output into your Band-in-a-Box program to see how it sounds. As always, the progression can be further adjusted to match your specific musical vision.

Me:
I noticed you gave me a shorter progression just to see how it sounds. I could expand it but this one is not really my cup of tea. Let's do something new. Write something for me using just an acoustic guitar and a piano and please suggest which style I should use from the style picker.

chatGPT:
Certainly, let's create a new composition designed specifically for an acoustic guitar and piano arrangement. This setup is often associated with genres like folk, pop, or even light jazz. I'll compose something in the key of G major, which is a friendly key for both guitar and piano. After composing, I'll suggest a suitable style from Band-in-a-Box's StylePicker.

This progression offers a blend of simplicity and melodic richness, suitable for a setting with acoustic guitar and piano. The use of basic chords in G major, along with some inversions (like G/B and D/F#), adds depth while keeping the progression accessible and melodious.

Style Suggestion for BIAB:
For this composition, a style that blends both acoustic guitar and piano would be ideal. In Band-in-a-Box, you can use the StylePicker and search for styles that feature "Acoustic Guitar" and "Piano". A style under the Folk-Pop, Soft Pop, or Light Jazz category would likely be a great fit. Look for styles that emphasize a laid-back, acoustic feel, which should complement this chord progression well. The exact style name may vary depending on your version of BIAB, but searching with these keywords should lead you to a suitable choice.

Remember, the audiophile version of BIAB provides a wide range of high-quality styles and RealTracks, giving you many options to find the perfect sound for your composition. Copy and paste the progression into your BIAB program and explore different styles to see which one resonates best with your musical taste.

Me:
Sounds nice. Can you rearrange it into a different template layout?

chatGPT:
I've selected a different template from my collection that will offer a more spacious and relaxed feel, suitable for an acoustic guitar and piano arrangement. This template has fewer chord changes per bar, allowing each chord to resonate longer and create a more laid-back atmosphere.

In this rearrangement, I've spaced out the chords to align with the new template, providing a more open and relaxed progression. The chords still maintain a pleasant flow and melodic sense, while the reduced density of changes per bar should fit nicely with the acoustic guitar and piano setting.

For this kind of composition in Band-in-a-Box, a style that accentuates the acoustic nature would be ideal. You might want to explore styles within the "Folk", "Acoustic Pop", or "Easy Listening" categories in the StylePicker. These styles typically feature laid-back, acoustic-focused arrangements that would complement this chord progression.

Remember, the progression and style can be further customized to suit your preference. Feel free to experiment with different styles in Band-in-a-Box to find the perfect match for your composition.

Me:
It looks good but you forgot to put a chord in the ending line. That's okay though because I'd like it expanded into a full song.

chatGPT:
Certainly! I'll expand the rearranged composition into a full song structure, ensuring to correct and complete the chord progression, including the ending line. The structure will include various sections like intro, verse, chorus, and bridge, providing a more complete musical experience.

In this expanded structure, I've created a more traditional song form with an intro, verses, choruses, a bridge, and an outro. The progression is designed to provide contrast between sections while maintaining a cohesive overall feel. The final bar resolves on the tonic chord, G, providing a sense of closure.

You can copy and paste this output into your Band-in-a-Box program to hear how it sounds. The arrangement can be further adjusted or customized to suit your specific needs. Feel free to experiment with various styles in Band-in-a-Box to find the perfect sound for your composition.

Me:
Thank you for your assistance. This was a great session!

chatGPT:
You're very welcome! I'm delighted to hear that you found the session helpful and enjoyable. If you ever need more assistance with music composition, rearranging chord progressions, or any other Band-in-a-Box related queries, feel free to reach out. Happy music making, and I hope your compositions bring you and your listeners much joy! Have a great day!

Last edited by paddy50; 01/27/24 02:07 PM. Reason: I added the chatGPT Lin for the BIAB Creative Assistant
Veteran
Veteran
What did I just see??? And how do I get me some of that?

OK, took me 5 minutes to figure it out. Like so much of this new tech, what you have shown here and I was able to reproduce in 5 mintues is nothing short of a miracle. grin

I always knew you could ask for chords and arrangements, but this confirms that you just need to "ask" and ChatGPT will format for you to copy and paste ito BIAB - Brilliant. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

paddy50 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks DrDan, I updated the post with the link to my BIAB tool. It only works for chatGPT plus accounts though so keep that in mind.

—Edited—

You should be able to do something similar in your own account. I just made this in trying out the chatGPT PLUS account for my own amusement and wanted to share. Kind of fascinating to me all of this stuff that can be done these days.

Last edited by paddy50; 01/27/24 04:28 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by paddy50
Thanks DrDan, I updated the post with the link to my BIAB tool. It only works for chatGPT plus accounts though so keep that in mind.

Thanks, would love to try out your BIAB tool, but not for $20/month. At least not now. I was stoked about what I saw you do moving chord charts over to BIAB and found I could do that with the "free" ChatGPT account. I will need to look closer at your narrative to see if there is anything else I would like to do...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

paddy50 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I understand. I tried writing instruction prompts with the free chatGPT account and it had a tiny bit of success but overall just wouldn't do what I wanted it to do at all. Then, when I got the email inviting me to try chatGPT Plus I wanted to see if it could do it. So, I signed up for the plus account and it still wouldn't do it. I was just about to cancel my account when they announced the ability to create custom chatGPT models and I thought I'd try it. It took me quite a bit of tinkering but that's how I got it to where it's at in the video. And, just to be clear, the $20 per month that chatGPT Plus charges well I don't have anything to do with that. It's not my fee and I don't make anything. The $20 goes to them and not me and is part of their ecosystem for Plus account holders. I just mainly wanted to try it out because I love BIAB so much and am always trying to figure out how to do things with it and wanted to see what I could do with this custom chatGPT build. It's very interesting and kind of fun but dang I wish it didn't money to access.

Veteran
Veteran
Understood. Looks like you have done a good thing here.

Expert
Online Content
Expert
This is really amazing. Not something I would ever use since creating musical structure (chords, tempos, feel, styles, etc) is the part of composition I enjoy doing organically. But I think it IS an essential part of the AI journey. Am reading this with fascination and awe...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,389
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.