Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So now I see RealBand has a more eloquent "feel" I would like to use it more, like I use Cakewalk.

But I am confused by basic functions I have never used because I never felt a need to look for them until now.

1.) What is the "master" and where is it?

In Cakewalk, the master track is called, well, MASTER, and everything goes there unless otherwise indicated (if you sent it to another buss first),.

On the mixer panel I see I bunch of stuff like A1, A2 and so forth, and tracks pegged as A1 if they AUDIO and S1 if they are midi.

But what if I want the midi tracks also to go to the Master (or even set up a master.) How is that done????

I click on S1 and A1 and I see no signs of a place to change routing.

Is A1 master by default?

Can you send midi tracks there as well, if you want a VST on the master, like you do in Cakewalk with one click?

Where is this layout in the manual???????

Is there are section in the manual that says:

"Hey, yo, I know you need a master buss, here is how you set it up, here is how you make a drum buss and route it to the master, and here is how you send a midi track to the master or another buss first and then to the master, but rest assured, they will all end up at (A1) or whatever, because that is the master master! We know that is all you need to record and mix so here is how you set that up!!"

Maybe it is there but I don't see it simply explained in one up front location.

I typed in "routing" in the search bar of the manual pdf and did not find it. I looked in the Mixer Chapter and saw everything else but. I read that there are all kinds of cool things but not much HOW TO.

Any help appreciated.

I do not want to :"give up" this time.

smile

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB Mixer 1.png (267.28 KB, 175 downloads)
RB Mixer2.png (271.82 KB, 175 downloads)
RB Mixer3.png (264.2 KB, 175 downloads)
RB Manual.png (536.35 KB, 3 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
The bottom right mixer section A1 is the default Stereo out. The bottom right section is the master out section
The rest of the A2-8 outs (here) are for additional outputs you may have selected in your Audio Preferences - Drivers section.

The top right of the mixer is AUX slots (where the signal goes when you use the AUX dials on the mixer) .. these eventually get routed to the main (bottom section) A1-8 outs (usually A1).
I made a drawing once that explained routing in RB (although it would be dated now) .. wish I still had it to share.

User guide pages 152- 154 are all I found for any help and they are pretty basic, ignoring the bottom right 'master out' section altogether.

As a basic example, if you wanted to use Ozone to master the final mix, it would go in one the the FX slots on the A1 channel in the bottom right of the mixer.

95%+ of users end up sending everything out the final A1 out in the bottom right section of the mixer, but you can use the rest of those outs to feed different sets of speakers, or other uses, if desired ... They only work if you enable the Driver outputs in Prefs and then use those Ports on selected tracks.
Theoretically you could send the bass track out to master A2 and rout that to a bass cabinet while sending the rest of the mix out A1 to stereo monitors or such.

hope that helps .. some of RB I have just figured out as I went along since documentation always seems to be lacking or lagging.
Once you get the basic concept of the routing, there are lots of options, but some simple things like labeling the bottom right mixer section as Master Outs .. and simply labeling the AUX section would help <sigh>

Oh, and if an S1 track is sent to a software synth it ends up going out the Master Out section on A1 .. I don't think you can change that, or at least I haven't done so yet.
It it goes out as MIDI to a hardware synth, then of course the routing of that hardware synth takes over for the audio out of it.

One other tidbit is the little 'All' slider between the Mixer left (Tracks) section and the right (Master) in the little sliver that separates the two .. it boosts all the tracks outputs from the left side of the mixer to the right side sections .. I just usually leave this at a 100% and adjust the tracks as needed .. but I think it initially defaults to a little less than 100%. I have absolutely no idea what those two little dials directly above the All slider do after all these years, I just leave those at 100% too.

Last edited by rharv; 03/05/24 06:10 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
RB is a very unique DAW. the good news is that it has almost every feature one needs, the bad news is it is somewhat unintuitive. I find that some of what people complain about it is that they don't dig deep enough. Still there is a lot of hard coded "crap" that needs to be redone to make it more appealing to the average DAW user. This not likely to happen any time doon or maybe ever. Still as a companion to BiaB it is really powerful. This years upgrade to the comping tools was stellar. I recently tested it using the plugins i bought from Harrison mixbus namely the 32C channel and a couple other master bus channel strips and i was blown away at how the mix came out. My only gripe was unlike more modern DAWs i can't drag the 32C plugin from track to track and setup takes longer. but wow what a product when setup right.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Harv. This is a good start for me and I appreciate it.

I will follow up later as days goes by with more lengthy responses and ideas, because I think that the drawback is in the owner's manual which doesn't really explain anything very well (or simply I should say) and that can be fixed, and I have other ideas as well.

But thanks for what you've given here because I would not have been able to figure it out otherwise.

More to come.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes thank you Rob.

Pursuant to my reply to Harv just now, I think some simple and thoughtful instructions in the owner's manual could go a long way here.

Another thing that would be helpful is if someone at PG music simply constructed a template for an .seq file that was already set up and loaded if you will with all of the basic functions that are needed to create simple busees and a master bus and learning how to use the top row of the A1 features and the bottom row of the A1 features and so on and so forth with a very simple section in the manual written in excruciatingly plain English of what all of the routings are and how they work with simple screenshots. The slots could be loaded with some PG effects or Sforzando setups just to show you the logic and routing choices.

Then they can make this template created in House available for download so we could look at it and see how things are wired, with a SLOOOW MOVINGGGG video and a manual passage as an accompaniment to this training.

That's all I need. I need to see how it works.

Videos are usually not that helpful because they go too fast and huge chunks of information are left out so you have to keep rewinding in an effort to try and connect the dots only to find out that information to connect the dots isn't necessarily there.

Like with Cakewalk it's pretty simple what I need. To me, Cakewalk is so easy to figure out that a two-year-old could do it.

I need to know how to insert a soft synth, I need to know how to arm an audio track with vsts, I need to know how to set up different busses for drums, vocals, other instruments and so forth, and I need to know where the most common buttons for mixing, and creating envelopes are located, including instructions for undoing envelopes and stuff like that.

There's really only 25 things that you need to know in order to sit down and record and produce a song and they're pretty straightforward. I've mentioned most of them.

But I swear to the high heavens I look at this owner's manual sometimes and I try and figure out how to do the simplest thing and I just throw my hands up in the air and say forget it.

It's not like that with Cakewalk.

I don't understand why it can't be just very very simply explained insofar as the very basics are concerned. It can't be that hard. The things that you need to record and mix and render a song is a pretty short list.

I don't really need 500 pages, I need 20 good ones. Fred Flintstone simple.

Again, I don't think this is a software deficit I think it's an owner's manual deficit I really do.

Because many times I look at the manual the stuff that I really need to know just doesn't seem to be there.

I wonder if this is just me.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
David this last year i bought Harrison Mixbus 32C what i like about it is that every track (Channel) has a compressor, EQ, limiter, gate, and sends built in. The master bus has EQ, Compressor and Gate. there is nothing to do but record, and then mix down your work. It is not perfect and those who use fancy midi tools might find it lacking in that area a bit, but for audio production it is very powerful. I can get the same results from RB but it takes twice as much work. Personally, i am fond of RB and love that it natively opens BiaB song files. I wish it didn't open them with BiaB tracks up top that are confusing. Why not just open them up as audio files and do the conversion behind the scenes. Next why show all 256 tracks i wish it opened with no tracks or had a simple 8 track template if wanted. Too busy! The program needs some love, but as a non-money maker an add on it doesn't get what it needs.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Rob and Moultipass.

Moultipass, you have nailed it.

Yes, I LOVE and ADORE RealBand but I want to UNDERSTAND the routing and be able to USE IT now that is is SO MUCH IMPROVED.

But, I cannot "go to the end" as Moultipass eloquently puts it, without a PROPER INSTRUCTION MANUAL. I don't want to "give up" again.

See this screen shot of Sonar/Cakewalk below (I have both programs but still use Artist a lot, don't ask why.)

It is all here. A child could do it.

All I want is a few simple pages with CLEAR and simple explanations of how to replicate this kind of workflow in RealBand--and have it stick. Please make it so that you easily add as many individual soft synth tracks as you want and have them re-appear when you re-open EXACTLY the way they were when you saved the file. And not have them "competing for space"--where you insert a synth in an open space and it starts using the sounds from another synth instance for some oddball reason and you have to open and re-select synths five times before it gets it straight. Please. Please, please, please.

This screenshot shows 95% of what happens in a mix. How hard can it be to explain the routing steps in plain English to replicate something like this in RealBand???

The program is great, but the manual?

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
CAKEWALK.png (350.29 KB, 115 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
How about this for a start:

How in the flipping flip do you make a track set at A1 (all of them) set to, like A2???

Where are the instructions???????????????????

https://www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2022full/chapter11.htm

Where???

Maybe we can go on to setting G2 subgroups in a separate session of the PH.D program.

I just need four busses. How do you do that????????????????????????????????

Last edited by David Snyder; 03/06/24 09:24 PM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I do not know where the instructions are, too tired to search the manual. Had a couple loooong days.

But in my image below you can use the Port setting in the right-click menu to route tracks to a specific Master Out subgroup.
On my system the labeling now appears wonky (in the image below) .. but the long/short of it is use the Port option to assign an output.
It appears you can have about 16 Ports, but I only have a couple enabled most of the time.
/These ports/paths must be enabled in Prefs-Audio-Drivers area before they'll show up in the Track Port list, which makes sense .. but again I feel like I had to figure a lot of this stuff out due to sparse documentation.
//it's all my fault, I know

RB_Subs_port.jpg (55.78 KB, 85 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 03/07/24 04:55 PM.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
David if you want to send tracks to busses for Effects that is fairly straight forward.

Use the top right fx busses (8 total) and add the effect you want (reverb for example) the dial in the amount in the tracks,

To use sub groups (example drums) maybe to process the drums through a gate or compressor The do the following

1. In options/Preferences (CTRL F5) and check the box "Unassigned output ports work as subgroups" You will notice that the 16 A1 Thru A16 are now named A 1 and G2 thru G16

2. Add whatever you want to the sub group of choice.

3. to send tracks there click the out on the track and go to Ports: (5th option down on the list) and chose the group wanted It will output back to the Master (A-1)

Not easy to find but easy to do once you have it. I am printing this out and keeping it in a folder of RB tips and tricks.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks guys.

I will print these out and fool with the settings over the weekend to see if I can make some sort of a template or figure it out, and come back with more stupid questions if I run into roadblocks.

It seems to me that we are actually writing the draft of he “Quick Start” guide everyone needs in real-time, right here.

Maybe, we should actually create a little team to do that: write Quick start guide together, and then send it to PG and say,

“Here, clean this up and put a cover on it. Real Band Quick Guide.”

I am serious.

Per my screenshots, this is the stuff everyone needs to know, and it has to be clear as day, suitable for a trifold, laminated.

How to:

1. SET UP A MASTER BUSS

2. MAKE A DRUM BUSS

3. MAKE A VOCAL BUSS

4. ROUTE THOSE TO MASTER BUSS

5. USE A SUBGROUP

6. WHERE SWITCHES ARE LOCATED, A SIMPLE MAP, SCREENSHOTS

7. INSERT A SOFT SYNTH AND SAVE THE FILE WITHOUT GOING MAD, SO IT ALL COMES UP SAVED NEXT TIME

Know what I mean guys??

Looks like we need to write the Quick Start ourselves, and this is some of the info...

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Rob,

Thanks to you and rHarv, rHarv, what is your name again? I hate to keep saying rHarv.

smile

See my idea just above, Rob, it was a reply all....

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Rob and "Harv":

Dudes we totally need to write the Quick Start Manual. I used both of your instructions and finally have a board in progress.

So, when we are done, I will laminate this as a trifold and sell it online for $29.95 with a 10% discount for Real Band subgroup forum members only.

Act now while supplies last!

Don't get Real Band 2024 until you know how to use it!! I would give it away but my wife won't let me!!!

smile

DRUM BUSS--QUICK START FIGURE 1.png (419.2 KB, 69 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by David Snyder
Rob,

Thanks to you and rHarv, rHarv, what is your name again? I hate to keep saying rHarv.

smile

See my idea just above, Rob, it was a reply all....

You can call me Bob or 'Harv' .. I don't care.
Just don't call me collect.
However it is important to remember that "it is all rharv's fault" .. so if you're going to blame me for something I insist you stick with the proper nomenclature

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Actually, on your diagram it is slightly backwards. The master channel is in the bottom group, A 1. The A 2 thru A 16 are optional outputs and can be setup as subgroups.

The upper 8 channels are FX bins and can be used as typical busses. Drums, vocals, guitars etc. Or another option is to use the A 2 thru A 16 as G 2 thru G 16 as subgroups and use them to effect groups of tracks. Those feed the A 1 master channel.

I setup a new song file with a Harrison 32C channel strip on 16 tracks. And the SSL compressor and EQ on A 1 as a master channel. I saved this as "Robs32C16channel.seq". I can open that and rename it and go from there. It works as a template (which do not work, templates that is) I am not sure why templates do not work but they don't. So, setting up a basic song file does give a start place.

I good basic quick start would be really cool to have. I spent almost 2 years using RB almost exclusively, but finally gave up because while it worked great, it still had a few too many crashes, and also to many corrupted files. I also found that so many features were and are kind of behind in development to other DAWs. Comping, routing, VST1 VST, Effects, and many more. RB does these things, but it is not as well developed and certainly not as modern in its approach.

With the continued development of the BiaB plugin it becomes less viable every day.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Rob I'll have to take a look at that tomorrow on my computer, my computer is off and I'm on my phone right now.

I think maybe I was referring to the A 1 Port on the bottom row not the top. I may have mistakenly circled that because it's, well, called the same thing, which is kind of strange for one row of A1 not to do the same thing as the other slot labeled A1.

At any rate I have the bottom row figured out using those subgroups as busses.

Can you tell me how you would direct any tracks to the A1,A2 slots on top?

I'm not looking at it right now because my computer is turned off and I'm just trying to see it in my mind's eye.

I couldn't figure out how to Port anything or route anything rather to the ones on the top row. I can only use the information one of you guys gave me to create the subgroups and do the routing after doing the right click on the track.

Soo..... Do you have any kind of instructions or screenshot maybe to show how to route a track to those ones on top as you say???

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Simple, on each track there is 4 send knobs marked 1 thru 4 you just dial up the knob to send how much signal to the first 4 aux busses. you can change the number by clicking on the existing number and all 8 pop up.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
There are little dials on the mixer labeled AUX .. these control how much signal from a given track goes to each AUX.

If you click the little number beside the dial it lets you define which AUX.

AUXSend.jpg (26.45 KB, 45 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 03/09/24 06:54 AM. Reason: add image

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
.. wow, it must have taken me 3 minutes to type that and refine that (screenshot and all) .. I didn't see Rob's post (above mine) when I started the post.
Whelp, now you have two references .. both are correct.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Rob and Bob Harvey,

Guys, I think I got it now.

Awesome.

BUT, there is no way I could have figured this out from the manual.

Why isn't this clearly explained for newbies trying to set up a board or use Real Band as a primary DAW, which it looks like it could do, once you know this stuff.

THIS is the MOST IMPORTANT PART.

Wow, ok.

Off to Kinkos to make my trifold now.

Thanks guys!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,406
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.