Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#802539 03/04/24 03:35 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I just installed BIAB 2023 UltraPAK and something strange is happening with the style changes.
I'll attach some screenshots. I choose a realtracks style for my song in the style picker and play it (screenshot 1), then I go back to the style picker, pick a midi style (screenshot 2) and click ok, return to the main screen and find all tracks still in real track mode, three of them set to silence, only the drum track plays (screenshot 3).
Something similar happens when I try to change the style halfway the song in the bar settings, sometimes it works, sometimes only one of the tracks gets changed, sometimes it seems not to work at all.
Any suggestions are very welcome. I am on a macbook pro 13" with OS 10.14.6.
thanks,
Martin

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot-1.png (196.7 KB, 92 downloads)
Screenshot-2.png (161.64 KB, 92 downloads)
Screenshot-3.png (201.69 KB, 92 downloads)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

You mentioned that you go to the StylePicker and choose a new style. Do you mean that you are changing styles at a bar? (i.e. F5 bar settings).

The problems you are seeing are probably a result of changing between a MIDI style and RealStyle in your song. Band-in-a-Box cannot switch from MIDI to RealTracks (or RealDrums) on a single track. There are ways to work around this limitation - for example, you could use two different tracks, one for MIDI and one for the RealTracks part, and then mute/unmute each track as appropriate. Is that what you are trying to do?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
hi Andrew,

They are actually two problems:

- If I have picked an overall style in the stylepicker, I see the result in the menubar and mixer. Then I go back to the stylepicker and change the style, I close the stylepicker and expect the change to display in the menubar and in the mixer. Sometimes it does not appear at all, sometimes when I change from realtracks style to midi style, it shows the drums track as playing, but all other tracks get set to 'silence', and are still showing up green as realtrack. Problem is it does not happen all the time and I have not yet found a sure way of reproducing it, when I do I will put an update here.

- The other problem, changing style in bar settings, this does happen if I change between realtracks styles (for instance changing latin to swing). Part of the first style (for instance a loop) keeps playing while it should not be in the style I am changing to. Muting it as a work around will work, but I might be muting a track that is actually supposed to be used in the new style...? I will try to get a reproducable example of this problem as well.

By the way, don't know if that could be done, but wouldn't it be helpful if the stylepicker gave some warning signal if you try to change between midi and real style in bar settings ?

UPDATE
I have done some testing on the first problem and I might just have chosen a very unlucky style to begin with.
I will attach some screenshot and try to explain what happens, I also rendered the song and can upload the result if that will help.
I started out with the _GOSTOSO.STY Gostoso Half-Time Bossa Funk. Demo-ing the style sounded different than playing my song, but I thought nothing of it at the time. But there seems to be something wrong with that style, it does not play a half time bass, it plays what seems to be a quarter time bass (once every two bars). And this seems to effect the style change I made in the bar settings. I reproduced the problem in a 32 bar/1 chorus song (factory default settings, only screen layout changed). In bar 5 I added a style change to _JSTM_B.STY Modern Jazz Swing Quartet.

The result is as follows:
The bass does not change at bar 5, it changes at bar 9 and then only the sound, it is still in wrong timing.
The piano does change at bar 5, timing seems ok.
The drums also do change at bar 5, timing is ok.
The loop does not change at bar 5, it does not change at all, it just plays on where it should have changed to a guitar track.

Since I heard the loop go on and the bass not really changing, I gathered the style chage did not happen, but it does seem to happen, just incorrectly, possibly caused by the faulty bass in the Gostoso style.

Hope you can help me out here.
best wishes,
Martin

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 1.png (626.4 KB, 2 downloads)
Screenshot 2.png (730.34 KB, 1 downloads)
Screenshot 3.png (715.99 KB, 1 downloads)
Screenshot 4.png (643.05 KB, 1 downloads)
Last edited by Martin Klein; 03/05/24 08:04 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Martin,

Yes, there are two issues here.

- Tracks can't change from one type to another (including Loops). And yes, I agree some information about this would be good in the F5 dialog perhaps, or in a flash message. You need to add the second instrument to another track (you could use a utility track) Then you mute the first track after that point, and mute the second track before that point.

- There is a bug with style changes and half-time RealTracks not changing at the correct bar. I think you would need to use the same strategy until this is fixed.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Andrew - PG Music
- Tracks can't change from one type to another (including Loops).

I understand tracks cannot change from midi to realtracks or vice versa, but just to make sure I understand what you mean, I change from one realtracks style to another realtracks style and I am wrong to expect that the loop in the first style would change to the guitar in the second style ?

Originally Posted by Andrew - PG Music
- There is a bug with style changes and half-time RealTracks not changing at the correct bar. I think you would need to use the same strategy until this is fixed.

Is there any way to check if a bug or strange behaviour is already known ? This has set me back a lot of hours I might have worked on music in stead of doing bug-hunting.

Thanks for the help,
best wishes,
Martin

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It's not an unreasonable expectation, but no it can't do it currently. We should issue a message with information about this when the style is changed - and then people would know what's going on rather than being confused.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Any kind of warning would have helped a lot :-)

And my other question, about maybe publishing a list of known bugs, or is there already such a thing around ?

And still another (new) question: where would I report small cosmetic 'bugs' (the Additional Song Settings window does not fit on my screen and displays only half the OK and Cancel buttons).

thanks,
Martin

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
From your reply I take it I can report bugs/inconsistencies here, I came across another small one: in the menu 'Edit/Song Form/', 'Song Form Begins at' and 'Song Form Ends at' do not get updated when I change them in the main window, while 'Total Choruses = ' does get updated. Saving the song does not change this, I have to close the song and reopen it to get the menu updated.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 09.34.39.png (791.52 KB, 2 downloads)
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 09.35.03.png (803.39 KB, 3 downloads)
Last edited by Martin Klein; 03/12/24 07:48 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,386
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.