Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow! First of all, Saros sounds like Peter Frampton. Cool.

The fusion of different styles works great and the strings were perfect little highlights.

The power vocal ending was awesome.

Thanks for all the production info ... I wish more folks did such.
We love CLA Drums (Room Beef typically for us) and they sound great here.
Nice poppy mix as in genre and sound. smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David

This is certainly different from what you usually post, but It sure does sound great to me!
One thing I noticed about the synth voice that I was wanting to hear, was that It would have been even better if the longer sustained notes at the end of some of the lines had a bit of vibrato to them! I don't even know if that's a possiblity with the current technology!
Your mixes and production are second to none as far as I'm concerned! This is excellent!

Thanks, TB

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Janice & Bud

Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
Wow! First of all, Saros sounds like Peter Frampton. Cool.
Ha! I didn't even make the connection. I was watching some old Midnight Special shows on DVD last month, and there were a couple performances and interviews.

I'd played around with other SynthV voices on the track, but none really push it over the edge. Saros does, and then some.

The fusion of different styles works great and the strings were perfect little highlights.
I'm glad it worked for you. There are some purists who (rightfully) can't help but hear it differently.

The power vocal ending was awesome.
Thanks! With Saros singing, it's almost obligatory. wink

Thanks for all the production info ... I wish more folks did such.
Me too... Just about everyone here is a one-person show where they create the backing tracks, sing, mix and master. That's a lot to juggle!

BiaB goes a long way to making that manageable, but it's always nice to see what other people are using to help with their productions.

We love CLA Drums (Room Beef typically for us) and they sound great here.
Speaking of production information, I bought it because I noticed it was part of your effects chain. And you've always got great drums.

Nice poppy mix as in genre and sound. smile

Enjoyed it!
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

I appreciate your positive comments! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I read your notes after listening (usually the other way around)... you talked about several of things that caught my attention.
The string runs were so nice. I didn't know there were Libraries! Well used.
I really liked the drum track. (AD is one of those things I've gotten and almost never use...)
The Bass track was well done.

I was quite impressed with your singer. By far the best I've heard "go after it" in the upper range. In a Very realistic way. That first line of the song Really impressed me. A whole song of that go-after-it did wear thin toward the end... (still.... impressive).

The Mix is quite good.

fj

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, floyd jane.

Originally Posted by floyd jane
The string runs were so nice. I didn't know there were Libraries! Well used.
Thanks! I figured they would work in a dance song, but I didn't expect them to work so well.

I really liked the drum track. (AD is one of those things I've gotten and almost never use...)
I got this AD library on sale at Christmas, and I've already got way too many drum libraries.

But in this case, I was looking for something a bit punchier than what I had in BiaB. The ambient sound made me think of ELO, so I went with it.

The Bass track was well done.
Thanks! I did everything I could to avoid doing it myself, including putting down a MIDI track. But eventually I realized it would be simpler to just play it.

Then I had to actually learn the chords to the song. crazy

I was quite impressed with your singer. By far the best I've heard "go after it" in the upper range. In a Very realistic way. That first line of the song Really impressed me. A whole song of that go-after-it did wear thin toward the end... (still.... impressive).
Yeah, Saros can be tiring on the ear after a while. And the second half was basically a restatement of the first, without much new material added in the process,so that didn't help.

I did a number of experiments, but ultimately decided to leave the vocal with Saros and perhaps revisit it later when another rock oriented singer comes out. Until then, "good enough" is the name of the game, because "perfect" is the enemy of "good". wink
The Mix is quite good.
I'm always happy to hear that! smile

Thanks again - I appreciate the detailed comments

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You defiantly found the right key because the voice soars. I can see why you lowered the key: it would have been a bit irritating that high. Awesome production. The rhythm section worked out well. Good work putting all those many elements together. I love the strings.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, David.

Listened to this a couple of days ago but didn't have time to comment.

First of all I really like the vocal melody! Very adventuresome. I would never come up with a melody like that 'cause there is no possible way I could sing it eek Your vocalist handles it with ease.

I really like that string run that goes up after the vocal lines, very effective.

This is a genre I don't listen to and know nothing about so can't comment on that, but I like what you have done here, very well produced. Kudos for stepping outside of your comfort zone!

As far as the boring details go I don't always read them, but often I do wink

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David, this is one of those songs that you can hear right away how much work it was to put together. The vocals and melody are fantastic. The string runs are powerful and a great addition. This is an energetic and interesting listen that is produced at a very high level. I loved it,Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A really good song and you've used a lot of techniques and instruments.
We agree on what you say about the belting of the singer smile
We also agree on the lack of variety, but we don't think it's a problem, because the song is rather fast and agile (if that's the right word here frown ).
But the modulation at the end is a nice variation.

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

As usual, it is very elaborately made.
However, the melody is simple and easy to remember.
There are various tricks that will keep me entertained.
The string runs are used very effectively.
The selection of Synth V is also accurate.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Dcuny,

I like the construction of this composition. It's very alive. I appreciated.

Jani.

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Scott.
Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
You definitely found the right key because the voice soars. I can see why you lowered the key: it would have been a bit irritating that high.
Yeah, I've sort of resistant to do that in some cases, but BiaB makes it so easy, there's really no excuse for me not to explore different keys.

Awesome production. The rhythm section worked out well. Good work putting all those many elements together. I love the strings.
Thanks! I've got a collection of various sample libraries that have some really cool sounds. To some extent, songwriting is a chance to use some of those sounds that have been gathering dust, so I don't feel so guilty about spending all that money. wink

I appreciate you stopping by to comment!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Dave.

Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Listened to this a couple of days ago but didn't have time to comment.
That's OK - I thought I had already responded to these comments last week! frown

First of all I really like the vocal melody! Very adventuresome. I would never come up with a melody like that 'cause there is no possible way I could sing it eek Your vocalist handles it with ease.
Yes, it's nice to explore melodies without having to wonder if I could sing it. (Spoiler: not very well!)

I really like that string run that goes up after the vocal lines, very effective.
Thanks!

This is a genre I don't listen to and know nothing about so can't comment on that, but I like what you have done here, very well produced. Kudos for stepping outside of your comfort zone!
That's OK, it's not really a genre I'm at all familiar with, either. wink

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Tommy.

Originally Posted by tommyad
David, this is one of those songs that you can hear right away how much work it was to put together.
Thanks!

The vocals and melody are fantastic. The string runs are powerful and a great addition. This is an energetic and interesting listen that is produced at a very high level.
Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it, and which parts worked best - I appreciate the positive feedback! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Rob and Anne-Marie.

Originally Posted by RnAM
A really good song and you've used a lot of techniques and instruments.
Thanks! smile

We agree on what you say about the belting of the singer
I played around with mixing the vocal with another singer to "tone down" the vocal, but didn't like the result.

I'll probably revisit the vocal at some later point when I've got other vocalists.

But I think he gives the best "flavor" for the song, which is enough for my purposes.

We also agree on the lack of variety, but we don't think it's a problem, because the song is rather fast and agile (if that's the right word here frown ).
Ha!

I think you were looking for a polite way to say "The song isn't too long." wink

But the modulation at the end is a nice variation.
Yes, I'll need to add it to my "bag of tricks, because it works so well for so little effort. laugh

Thanks, I appreciate hearing from you!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Shigeki.

Originally Posted by animarorecords
As usual, it is very elaborately made.
However, the melody is simple and easy to remember.
There are various tricks that will keep me entertained.
The string runs are used very effectively.
The selection of Synth V is also accurate.
Thanks!

My goal is to "keep you entertained", so I'm glad that worked for you. smile

Enjoyed my listen a lot.
Thanks, I appreciate your comments!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Jani.

Originally Posted by Derochette
I like the construction of this composition. It's very alive. I appreciated.
Thanks! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Refreshing to notice you are experimenting a different style, although it took some time to get used to the dance style smile Not so much to my taste musically and lyrically as your previous works, but full of energy and upbeat excitement. Keep on stepping outside the box, I'm sure there are shiny pearls to be found... and more use for your vast collection of instruments smile

Great work with Saros to give love the wings, sounds powerful, I'm happy Saros a virtual singer, otherwise I would be worried about how long he can sing this hard without losing his voice wink I think some growl would make Saros sound more natural, but I guess Synth V doesn't provide tools for that yet.

Janne

As a side note, after listening to your song, I wanted to listen to The Alan Parsons Project's Vulture Culture album, their jump to more dance oriented sound, never really liked those arrangements, but the songs are still their best.

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Janne.

Originally Posted by jannesan
Refreshing to notice you are experimenting a different style, although it took some time to get used to the dance style smile Not so much to my taste musically and lyrically as your previous works, but full of energy and upbeat excitement. Keep on stepping outside the box, I'm sure there are shiny pearls to be found... and more use for your vast collection of instruments smile
Thanks for the positive comments.

Musically, it didn't quite land where I'd like it to in a number of places, but I'll revisit it when SynthesizerV is more up to the task.

To be honest, I was a bit hesitant to do this at all, but I figured I needed to get over myself and stop treating each song as so precious.

Great work with Saros to give love the wings, sounds powerful, I'm happy Saros a virtual singer, otherwise I would be worried about how long he can sing this hard without losing his voice wink I think some growl would make Saros sound more natural, but I guess Synth V doesn't provide tools for that yet.
Nope, no growl.

An earlier version of SynthesizerV had support for "vocal effects", but it pretty much required you to be an speech pathologist to understand, and even then, it was hard to get good results. You can also simulate it with a very fast and wide vibrato, as there are 'false vocal folds' that interact with the 'real vocal folds' causing every other vibration to go wrong. smile

I bought a plugin effect that sort of gets that sound via distortion, but... not quite. So I'll wait until it's got proper support, or hand it to a different singer. But for now... I'm putting it aside.

As a side note, after listening to your song, I wanted to listen to The Alan Parsons Project's Vulture Culture album, their jump to more dance oriented sound, never really liked those arrangements, but the songs are still their best.
Heh. Big Alan Parsons fan, but I agree that the songs on Vulture Culture are hit and miss. I still remember getting the album and thinking... What went wrong?... Except for 'Days Are Numbers', which remains a big favorite of mine.

There's another (almost) APP song from Eric Woolson's 'Freudiana' album called 'Let Yourself Go' that has a sax section on it, and it annoyed me so much that I created a remix that removed those parts of the song. laugh (The saxes are actually excellent, I just didn't think it fit the tone of the song).

I've studied sax arranging, but it's a lot of work - you need to write out all the chords, and then split them out onto separate tracks. Of course, BiaB could do the heavy lifting if I did that inside the program...

There's a cool sax library called Austin Saxes that I look at every now and then, but it reminds me of 'Vulture Culture' and 'Hawkeye', and think Maybe not.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very intense song David. Amazing you can achieve this level of quality vocals from this technology. You definitely a master at these vocaloids. Was an awesome song as well.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,643
Posts735,394
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.