Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
shlind #807478 04/15/24 11:25 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm interested in Cerio's observation that the quality of the source file makes a difference. Like Gordon, I had not considered this.

Although I have only fed WAV files into Song Master Pro, the source of those WAV files might be from recording something of lesser quality, such as a YouTube video. I assume such a file is already compressed considerably. I plan to run a comparison of the same song recorded from Apple Music (high quality) and YouTube. And maybe a file ripped from a CD.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
Although I have only fed WAV files into Song Master Pro, the source of those WAV files might be from recording something of lesser quality, such as a YouTube video. I assume such a file is already compressed considerably. I plan to run a comparison of the same song recorded from Apple Music (high quality) and YouTube. And maybe a file ripped from a CD.

Please, share your results when you have them

BIAB 2024, latest build.
shlind #807500 04/15/24 03:42 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have a reply from AurallySound who also say panning can be an issue and Take Five is panned strongly:
I took a listen and expected it to do considerably better than it did. My guess would be the rather unusual panning of instruments (the center is really open (!)) is quite different from the rock/pop songs used to train the stem separator. Will training does do some dynamic re-panning it doesn't do anything as extreme as pushing the drums so far left--perhaps something to look into.
Take Five was recorded in 1959, so could have originally been mono limited stereo. That they expected it to do better is encouraging, though some other tunes I tried were also less than brilliant.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
shlind #807947 04/20/24 12:31 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Purchased today. What a frikin mess trying to transfer the chord chart to anythink which I can use in my DAW!! A huge dissappointment. It looked so promising!!!

Wrong Key or Wrong Chords or Wrong timing. Sent xml to BIAB. That looked good, but there was not a good agreement with the chord names and the midi was using "held" chords across bars instead of replaying the chord. I don't think I have ever seen BIAB do that. When I sent xml to MuseScore, all the right names but the key was wrong. Chart was F (one b), but the chords were F#. Tried text output but that just throws an error.

All I can do is stare at this output and wonder what is going on...

Last edited by DrDan; 04/20/24 12:33 PM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

shlind #807949 04/20/24 01:28 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
is that a long-winded way of telling me let the buyer beware?. Or I should’ve known better.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #807952 04/20/24 02:43 PM
Off-Topic
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted by DrDan
Purchased today. What a frikin mess trying to transfer the chord chart to anythink which I can use in my DAW!! A huge dissappointment. It looked so promising!!!

What are you trying to import in your Daw exactly?

The XML won't include notes nor lyrics, just chords, parts, key and tempo, which is exactly what I expect to import in musescore. As far as I know Reaper or any other DAW won't import that XML, simply because most DAWS are not designed to work with that info.

Importing the XML into musescore has worked flawlessly for me (and I've been using SMP a lot during these last months), so I suspect there's something you're not doing correctly. Would you mind to share your project here?

Last edited by Cerio; 04/20/24 02:45 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Cerio #807954 04/20/24 03:24 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Cerio
The XML won't include notes nor lyrics, just chords, parts, key and tempo, which is exactly what I expect to import in musescore. As far as I know Reaper or any other DAW won't import that XML, simply because most DAWS are not designed to work with that info.

Importing the XML into musescore has worked flawlessly for me (and I've been using SMP a lot during these last months), so I suspect there's something you're not doing correctly. Would you mind to share your project here?
XML should handle all the notes, lyrics, key, tempo and notational stuff like crescendos and trills.
Should != does frown

shlind #807955 04/20/24 03:33 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My workflow is a tad different. Currently, I want to get the Chord Chart out of SMP and into EZKeys2. EZKeys2 does not input xml. While it can work directly with an audio file, I don't like the chords I am getting from that path.

1) Run SMP on song mp3
2) Opps I see the mp3 is in Key F#, I want it in F. No problem SMP can transpose all the chords. Good
3) Save chord chart as xml. Good
5) Open xml in MuseScore. Good, but wait. The MuseScore chart is in Key of F#. Apparently the key change in SMP did not effect the xml output
6) Change the key in MuseScore to F. Good, but wait while the key change works the chords DO NOT CHANGE. They remain in F#. Bad, must mean the chord names are only "labels"? OK, I will adjust this later in the workflow.
7) Export Song as midi file.
8) Drag and drop midi file into EZKeys2
9 Well now we have a real mess. EZKeys lists the F# chords but can not transscrbe to F!
Here is where I started to spin. Repeated over and over, with slight differences. No Joy. I could not get the proper chords into EZKeys.

Now I could tell a similar tale of woe working with BIAB instead of Musescore in this workflow. But others have already identified issues with importing xml into BIAB.

Thanks for asking.

Dan

shlind #807959 04/20/24 04:19 PM
Off-Topic
S
shlind Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
I just made a quick test with one song and it worked fine for me (I have not tried SMP with EZKeys before)

Loaded the song into SMP
Exported MusicXML
Loaded MusicXML into MuseScore4
Exported partiture as midi
Dragged the midi into EZKeys2 chord line (only the chord name line, I didn't drag in the midi line)

It seems to work fine for that single file that I tested. All chords names and extensions loaded into the correct places in the time line the song had parts with several chords in a bar, and chords with various extensions.
I did not change any Keys. The song was in the correct key in SMP and was loaded with the correct key into EZK.

Maybe it works better if leaving the key cange to the last instans ie in EZKeys once the chords are loaded.

I just tested one song and that one worked fine for me.

EDIT:----
I only tested that the chord names were imported correctly (not the chord midi).
I did another test later it also worked fine but here I had misses in two places eg one bar with G-G/D-G/D-G/D was loaded as 4 G/D and similar on one other bar, but in overall the rest was correct and worked well and it was quite a complicated chord structure and chord types.
(I also tried to import the midi file to BIAB but that required a lot of editing, the amount seems to vary depending of the song. To import chords from SMP to BIAB from MusicXML via MuseSCore while waiting for a bug fix see posting above).

(I have reported the problems with loading MusicXML files into BIAB to PGMusic as a bug (assumed bug, BIAB only loading root names but not extensions) They can reproduce the problem and will have the developers look into it. If there are other problems with loading MusicXML into BIAB maybe it would be useful to notify them so they can fix it all in one go.)

Off-Topic
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott

XML should handle all the notes, lyrics, key, tempo and notational stuff like crescendos and trills.
Should != does frown

I asked the developer about the ability to export lyrics when exporting musicXML, here's his answer:
"The lyrics feature in MusicXml expects for lyrics to be broken down into syllables and each syllable given a time element for when it is sung. I don't have timing data at that granularity so I'm not exporting lyrics. There may be another way to get lyrics that I'm not aware of. I may be able to export a bunch of words at a time (not syllables)--similar to what I do with pdf export."

Exporting identified notes is currently supported via a midi file, not via musicxml. Maybe in future versions...

Last edited by Cerio; 04/20/24 06:11 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Cerio #808004 04/21/24 02:45 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I asked the developer about the ability to export lyrics when exporting musicXML, here's his answer:
"The lyrics feature in MusicXml expects for lyrics to be broken down into syllables and each syllable given a time element for when it is sung. I don't have timing data at that granularity so I'm not exporting lyrics. There may be another way to get lyrics that I'm not aware of. I may be able to export a bunch of words at a time (not syllables)--similar to what I do with pdf export."

Exporting identified notes is currently supported via a midi file, not via musicxml. Maybe in future versions...
I totally understand, hence my "should != does".

I've had so much experience of people short-circuiting specifications because "that part doesn't apply to us" or because they think there's something unnecessary in the specification, or because they don't understand it properly, or because they overlook some part.

I'll give an unrelated example that shows the kind of thing I mean. A client complained that a product of ours was consistently "locking up" after about three days, needed a power-cycle to clear it, was rubbish and needed fixing. When we investigated it turned out that their product had no means to receive the "Done" replies from us, so they didn't bother offering us any opportunity to reply. The consequence was that we held on to the replies until we eventually ran out of memory. They agreed to send us the offer to resolve the issue; we also independently implemented an "abandon message" at a high-water mark in case anyone else did similar.

That was a very simple protocol. MusicXML is not simple; there are lots of opportunities for mistakes, misunderstandings, "doesn't apply to me" and the like. Even if one uses a sanitised and proven parser, there's no guarantee that the resulting data will be used correctly.

shlind #808031 04/21/24 07:41 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My begining goal is to midi map the chord changes to the beats of a utube song, even if only in quarter note resolution. Fact is, there are several other objectives for this project and I may have moved to fast and jumped into the deep end too soon. So lets try this over again, step by step. I did see how promising SMP can be. It could just be me? Maybe I don't know as much about how all this music stuff works to make it all work? I have an arsenal of tools which I need to figure out how to use properly.

Yesterday, things started well and then just went to hell on me. So I am going to start over today. Delete all the files and folders I had created yesterday and go back to the beginning and try again. Little steps this time. The minute I see something odd I will stop and try to fix it.

Stay tuned.

shlind #808037 04/21/24 09:14 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have SMP identifing the Chords then saving them as xml which I opened in MuseScore and then saved as a Midi file which I then opened in EZKeys2. A long way around just doing the entire process in EZKeys. But I wanted the option.

Sorry about yesterday, being so crumpy and all. Things are going much better this morning.

shlind #808081 04/21/24 07:54 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mission Accomplished! grin I got my chords and they sound fantastic in my EZK2 midi track. The fix for me was just extremely careful observation of the steps as I did them and keeping track of the right files. SMP and MuseScore and EZK2 all settled down and behaved themselves once I showed them who was boss.

Now I move on to the next stage. I am mixing in live bass and drums which have played over the original utube video. Unfortunately, neither the video or the bass performance appears to have played to a click. So I am having synch issues with my new Midi EZKeys track. I will have to make some manual adjustments - Either in the midi track or in the Bass Audio track? Any recommendations? Don't say "make a tempo map" in Reaper, cause I have no idea how to do that, dispite my study of the tutorials.

shlind #808098 04/22/24 07:47 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan I will be the bad guy.
If you're trying to line up computer-based (on a grid) tracks with a live performed track you have to use a "tempo map".

The only other option is you can have the live performance aligned to a grid through extensive quantization but then you'll lose the live feel.

There have been advancements in tempo mapping over the last five years.

"Logic" if you're on a Mac can do it automatically.
Melodyne can find a detailed tempo map for you but it's another long process. Free version limited. Paid version detail process but very accurate.
Other DAWs have gotten better at it to cut a twenty-minute process to a five-minute process.
I am not sure of the state of the art in Reaper, but it has gotten easier in the last 10 years.
BIAB, can also find the tempo map with their ACW. Not sure how to get it out of BIAB, maybe a MIDI file with tempo map in it.

Studio One (latest version), Win 11 23H2 , i9 -10940X 3.3 GHz, 32GB Mem, a 4K 40" monitor, PreSonus Studio Live III Console as interface/controller. secondarily test on Reaper, Cakewalk, and S1 on Surface Pro 3 Win 10 (latest versions).
jpettit #808103 04/22/24 08:16 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by jpettit
Dan I will be the bad guy.
If you're trying to line up computer-based (on a grid) tracks with a live performed track you have to use a "tempo map".

The only other option is you can have the live performance aligned to a grid through extensive quantization but then you'll lose the live feel.

There have been advancements in tempo mapping over the last five years.

"Logic" if you're on a Mac can do it automatically.
Melodyne can find a detailed tempo map for you but it's another long process. Free version limited. Paid version detail process but very accurate.
Other DAWs have gotten better at it to cut a twenty-minute process to a five-minute process.
I am not sure of the state of the art in Reaper, but it has gotten easier in the last 10 years.
BIAB, can also find the tempo map with their ACW. Not sure how to get it out of BIAB, maybe a MIDI file with tempo map in it.

Hey, I appreciate the voice of experience. That is exactly what I need here. But this is something in the past I have just thrown up my hands and said it I can not do it. Reaper has a tutorial, but it is mind blowing to a newbee. Also it shows only a single track and therefore ignors what I have on the other tracks which do not need tempo adjustments.

I have seen BIAB create a tempo map, but the ACW is just such a bear to work with for me! But perhaps there is someone here who can do the heavy lifting in BIAB to create the tempo map for a single track for me. Then I can figure out how to move it to Reaper. Any volenteers who can help out?? Please PM me.

shlind #808104 04/22/24 08:18 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with jpettit.
I recently learned about the Tempo Map I think from musocity.
This link has more info and it worked like a charm.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=792600&Searchpage=6&Main=102817&Words=tempo+map&Search=true#Post792600

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
I agree with jpettit.
I recently learned about the Tempo Map I think from musocity.
This link has more info and it worked like a charm.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=792600&Searchpage=6&Main=102817&Words=tempo+map&Search=true#Post792600

Excellent, I will give it a try. Thanks

shlind #808111 04/22/24 09:25 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan, it seems there's a misunderstanding regarding Tempo Maps.

A tempo map functions as the master timekeeper for a song, similar to the role of a live drummer, and all tracks are required to synchronize with it.

MIDI files are designed to work with tempo maps, which guarantees their alignment, eliminating any potential issues.

My YouTube channel features comprehensive playlists on this subject. However, as the state of the art has advanced, numerous individuals have contributed improved explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRXEM4HzXZAXGQKlR3d3Z4g

Studio One (latest version), Win 11 23H2 , i9 -10940X 3.3 GHz, 32GB Mem, a 4K 40" monitor, PreSonus Studio Live III Console as interface/controller. secondarily test on Reaper, Cakewalk, and S1 on Surface Pro 3 Win 10 (latest versions).
shlind #808113 04/22/24 10:06 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What! laugh I have never seen your site. Have you been hiding this? grin Great info, I will be studing shortly.

Thanks.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,664
Posts735,576
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 162