You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#84953 - 09/09/10 01:41 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas
pmwizard Offline
Enthusiast

Has anyone tried the Roland Mobile Studio Canvas with BIAb or Realband? Is it better than the Ketron?

#84954 - 09/09/10 02:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: pmwizard]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

I have a Roland Sonic Cell and frequent the Sonic Cell forum. This question has come up a lot concerning the new Sound Canvas. The consensus seems to be it sounds a lot like the Sonic Cell without the SC features like the mic and instrument input, guitar modeling, ability to mix mp3 or midi files on it etc for half the price. That means it's a good sounding modern Roland sound module, it has a collection of Fantom and other Roland keyboard sounds and whether or not it's as "good" as the Ketron is a matter of personal taste. I think my SC sounds great and I've listened to all those Ketron demo's Mac posted last year and the Ketron sounds great too. Both are certainly comparable to my Kurzweil and Korg keyboards. When you get to this level they all sound good, it usually boils down to a few certain patches you just have to have and you wind liking one a little bit over the other. It can be very difficult to find that out before you buy one though. It usually takes some time to play with all these different synths to realize that yeah, those strings or that slap bass or a particular trumpet are a bit better on one or the other. Even then, apply some EQ or other effects and voila' one will sound just as good as the other.

Bob

#84955 - 09/11/10 01:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: pmwizard]
pghboemike Offline
Veteran

here is a user review

#84956 - 09/17/10 02:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: jazzmammal]
pmwizard Offline
Enthusiast

I was thinking of usng it in a live setting for backing tracks. Considering that you can put all on a USB(like you can with Sonic Cell), it could be a cheaper alternative than sonic cell.

#84957 - 09/18/10 09:14 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: pmwizard]
Loc: Philly
PhillyJazz Offline
Journeyman

I have a Ketron SD4. I am selling my SonicCell. The SonicCell is killer for funk/fusion etc. but the Ketron natural acoustic sounds cannot be touched. THey are both great units. I would have been thrilled with the Sonic Cell had I not owned the Ketron to compare it. It really depends on what kind of sounds you want. I am a straight-ahead jazz guy, and love the natural sounds of the Ketron. If I were more a rock/funk player, I would gravitate toward the Rolands.
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other internal and USB drives.
Scarlett 6i6
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables

#84958 - 09/20/10 01:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: pmwizard]
pmwizard Offline
Enthusiast

I play tenor sax, clarinet and ewi 4000s wind synth. The music I play are standards, country early rock(50's - 70's), polkas, waltzs, latin. With that knowledge of what I do, would the Studio canvas sound good in the scenario?

#84959 - 09/20/10 05:40 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: pmwizard]
PhillyJazz Offline
Journeyman

I would check to see if it supports Breath Control. That is one thing I will sorely miss about the Sonic Cell.
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other internal and USB drives.
Scarlett 6i6
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables

#84960 - 09/20/10 07:45 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: PhillyJazz]
pmwizard Offline
Enthusiast

The ewi has a synth chip in the instrument and I also have a vl70m. Both have the Paychman turbo chips. I would only be using the Roland to play backing tracks.

#84961 - 09/21/10 05:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: pmwizard]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Something to consider regarding the new SD 50 vs the Sonic Cell is the SC has been reduced to $629 on line and the SD-50 is $399. The extra features of the SC may now be worth it to you. Also since the SC has been out for a couple of years, they should be readily available used for probably the same or less than a new SD 50.

Bob

#84962 - 09/21/10 08:04 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: jazzmammal]
pmwizard Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks jazzmammal, I never looked at the SC as an alternative. Will have to look intp that before I buy.

#84963 - 09/22/10 02:30 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: jazzmammal]
Loc: Tulsa OK
John L Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tulsa OK
Quote:

I have a Roland Sonic Cell and frequent the Sonic Cell forum. Bob

Could you supply a link to this forum?
Thanks

#84964 - 09/22/10 02:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: John L]
pmwizard Offline
Enthusiast

John,

How do you use the sonic cell? Would it work for just backing tracks? My ewi 4000s is nor the usb plug in instrument.

#84965 - 09/22/10 04:40 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: pmwizard]
Loc: South Jersey
Jakob Offline
Enthusiast

I have the studio canvas and I like it. If your budget is 400 bucks, the sd50 is a much better buy than the ketron for several reasons which are probably mentioned in the review. If you can afford a little more perhaps the sonic cell is for you depending on what you are using it for. I don't know much about the sonic cell, never used it. I got the sd50 because I needed a replacement for Roland VSC when I upgraded to Win7. I tried the soft synths and still use them sometimes but I really liked the sound of vsc when playing midi files. I'm a sax player that uses biab for background playing in restaurants and private parties. I still use midi files for pop music. I know some guys don't think midi sounds good and prefer mp3's but I like the flexibility of midi files. I've also notice that I like the sound of everything better when I use the sd50 as an audio interface. I know sound is subjective, but for me I can definitely hear an improvement in the overall sound of biab and my midi files when played through the sd50. One nice feature is you only have to use a usb cable to connect to your computer. No midi cable, no power cable. The sd50 is powered by usb, batteries, or ac adapter. I also use it as my backup for my laptop. I've made biab mp3's so I can use the sd50 on short gigs without bringing my laptop. I just load the mp3's and midi files on a usb drive and off I go. Sorry for the long reply but thought I'd try to explain my reasons for owning the unit.

#84966 - 09/22/10 05:31 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: Jakob]
Rachael Offline
Expert

Are there any links to demos for this? I'd like to hear some of the instruments.

R

#84967 - 09/22/10 06:05 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: pghboemike]
Jakob Offline
Enthusiast

You use a tablet pc, how's that working for you.

#84968 - 09/22/10 08:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: Rachael]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Quote:

Are there any links to demos for this? I'd like to hear some of the instruments.

R

http://www.roland.com/products/en/IT/SD-50_IT/index.html
Roland SD50 Interactive Tour
Click on the 'Sound Check' menu item, I guess this is as close to a direct link as I can get ya.

Edited by rharv (09/22/10 08:58 PM)

#84969 - 09/23/10 03:34 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: John L]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Could you supply a link to this forum?

Thanks

Roland Clan

Here you go.

Bob

#84970 - 12/07/10 08:47 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Roland's new Mobile Studio Canvas [Re: jazzmammal]
Jakob Offline
Enthusiast

Just like to post an update about the SD50. During the Christmas season, I play at the local mall for tips and exposure. I pick up a quite a few gigs during the year because someone saw me at the mall during the holidays. I usually use my laptop but this year I'm using the SD50 and loving it! Since I'm only playing Christmas songs, it's a lot easier than carrying a laptop. I render BIAB files as mp3's on a thumb drive and off I go.

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
28407 Members
58 Forums
55143 Topics
459227 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
SJN, markgeven, ecnal, Jurassic, Derek Deatherage

28407 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 330
Pipeline 306