Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
vzudell Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A few days ago my old computer "died". I mean "black screen" nothing. I had backed up on an external hard drive. Went out bought a new machine HP with Windows 7. Restored my back up files to the new computer and NOTHING. Then tried to load from my original discs starting way back in 1997 and up came a screen that tells me that these discs are incompatible with my 64 bit machine. What do I do now? I've got a lot invested in these discs and this program which I can't use now unless there is some work around. Does anyone have any info on this? My last upgrade was 2010 I think. Can't remember for sure the build #. But it wasn't the summer 2010.5. Had been away from my beloved BIAB for awhile because of illness and lost a lot of details.(I'm getting old, 77 now) But it has been the love of my life for many years and have probably sold a lot of BIAB programs through recomending it to all my friends in the music and songwriting world.
I've promoted it on my Soundclick.com page and encouraged young and upcoming songwriters by having them experience it on my home pc. In fact one friend of mine (a music publisher) went out and bought the whole works awhile back because I kept telling him how great it was. Now surely there has to be a way to work around this 64 bit problem.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi,

If this was me, I'd be ringing PGMusic. They will have records of what you have bought and will be in the best position to help. I have found them a terrific company to deal with - but then I guess you know that already

Good luck,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
vzudell Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Noel96, I filled out a request for tech support by e-mail but don't know when they will get to it. Yes I do know that they are a wonderful company to do business with. They once replaced one of my style discs that had become corrupted (no questions asked) so they must keep good records too. I chose the e-mail route because I have a hearing problem so try to avoid the telephone as much as possible. I decided to post this on the forum to keep this issue upfront so others may be informed before making the same mistake I did. I was totally unaware of the 32 bit/64 bit issue with Windows 7 before I got into it. In the end if it can't be rectified easily I may just use my old xp laptop for BIAB and make it a dedicated machine since I don't use it for anything else, until such time (if ever) that I can afford to purchase the program already loaded on a hard drive and give up messing with all these discs.

Veteran
Veteran
When you got 2010 did you get it on the little hard drive or discs?
I've never known PG to send out what we call "update" discs. When you order and purchase an "update" they can tell if you have actually bought from them before. Any "updates" I've ever gotten have been full versions. Try installing the 2010 first and see what happens.
Now for Win 7 issues.
1. Turn off the UAC ( user account control) before installing
2. Make sure you are installing as "administrator"
Give it a shot.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Restored my back up files to the new computer and NOTHING. Then tried to load from my original discs starting way back in 1997 and up came a screen that tells me that these discs are incompatible with my 64 bit machine. What do I do now?

I assume you are talking about BIAB Install Disks and not disks created by some third party backup program. While a 3rd party backup program may not run under the Win7 64 bit system, there is no reason that the new Win7 machine will not read the BIAB disks (or at least known that I know of). Find a computer savy friend to help you with the install. I run BIAB in Win7 64 bit and it runs great.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

vzudell Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
John:
When you asked about my 2010 discs, It was a DVD Disc. purchased directly from PG music. I guess the programs are just too large for CD's now. This was purchased as an upgrade (not "update") from 2009. Maybe I should try installing the 2010 first and see what happens. It installed and was running just fine on my old XP which was 32 bit. The reason I had started with my first disc (BIAB version 7.0) is that I understood that you must have the previous version installed in order to install the next version. When ever I had gotten a new computer, I had to start from the first install disc and then move to the next "upgrade". It had always worked fine but not this time. Windows 7 is totally rejecting the disc as incompatible with 64 bit.

Jazzmandan: Thanks for responding. I think my response to John above answers the questions you posed as well. I really wish I had a "computer savvy friend" to call on as you suggested but alas I have no one except paid technicians to call upon, and my Social Security income forces me to be extremely frugal in that respect.
I'm going to try installing 2010 first and see what happens. Will get back on later and let you know.

Veteran
Veteran
No PG has never sent out upgrade disc they were always full installs. Yes try installing 2010 right from the start.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

John:

Windows 7 is totally rejecting the disc as incompatible with 64 bit.

Interesting, Is this the message as it appears? I have never seen this and there is no reason Win7 would reject a disk due to 32 versus 64 bit. Perhaps you only purchased a CD player in your new machine and this a DVD?? Or perhaps the DVD is damaged?? Either of these would result in the DVD not being readable.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Version 7 was back in 16-bit days, so it makes sense that it won't work on 64-bit systems.

I'm thinking that if you received the DVD's for version 2010, it may (possibly) be just an update, rather than the full package. I would just install the most recent full version that your have (maybe 2009 or 2008), then install your 2010 version on top of that.

Better yet, if you actually have a backup of your BB folder from your previous computer, I would copy that over to you new computer, then install the 2010 version on top of that. That way, all you old stuff would still be there.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
vzudell Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Silvertones: Sorry, you are mustaken on the matter of PG never sending out UPGRADE discs. That is all I have ever purchased from PG after buying my first time program. (Version 7.0). None are full installs except Version 7. This is the poormans way to have the program that otherwise I could not have afforded. I am not faulting the programs but I am very unhappy with my new computer with Windows 7. I'm having trouble finding my way around as nothing is where it used to be. I wanted to copy and paste the message I recieved from my failed install and couldn't find any way to do it. Had to hand type it.

Jazzmandan:
Here is the exact message that I got when I tried to install both Version 7 and lastly version 2010:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows that you are running. Check your computer's system to see if you need an X86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program and then contact your software publisher."

Okay, I did contact support and the response was: Their records show my last version was 2009.5 It should run on 64-bit machine. My purchase of upgrade 2010 was never recorded.

That was it! No suggestions or help of any kind. Kind of disappointing. At least you guys are offering suggestions for things to try.

jford: I think you've grasped the problem I'm facing trying to start install with my last full version, which is Version 7.0. Yes that was back in the good old days and is now obsolete. Looks like my only solution is to
purchase the latest full install version when I can afford it. Maybe I'll win the lottery! LOL. In the mean time I will drag out my old laptop with XP and install my discs on it. At least I'm not completely without the "love of my life".

Thanks Guys!!

Veteran
Veteran
Well OK if you say so but all of my "upgrades" have come through as full versions. Did you put in the 2009 or 2009.5 disc and try to install?
My first purchase was version 10. I still have all of my "upgrades". I just finished un- installing my 2010.5 and installed, 11,2004,2005,2006,2008 I quit after that. I un-installed each version prior to installing the next. The point being that everyone of my discs is a "full" version even though I purchased an "upgrade".

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Jazzmandan:
Here is the exact message that I got when I tried to install both Version 7 and lastly version 2010:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows that you are running. Check your computer's system to see if you need an X86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program and then contact your software publisher."

Ok, I now understand that your DVD/CD is being "read" by the Win7 machine, it as just the file on the disk which will not run in the 64 bit environment. That makes a little more sense to me.

Sorry to hear you are having so much problem. Have to admit Version 7 DVD/CD would indeed be very old and I can believe it may not run on the Win7. However, I have to agree with Silvertone...

Quote:

Well OK if you say so but all of my "upgrades" have come through as full versions. The point being that everyone of my discs is a "full" version even though I purchased an "upgrade".

My experience over 10+ years of BIAB is exactly the same.

vzudell Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Silvertone and Jazzmandan: Then you have been very lucky or the man upstairs just takes kindly to you two.
All of mine, in the header over the "Agreement" state that it must be installed over the previous version. They are not stand alone programs (full install) but only upgrades.
I did get another response on my support request from Gail @sales PG with some new suggestions and she was very helpful. One was to restore my back up version after disabling the UAC. So I will work on her suggestions. A further response from Rob in support confirmed that the discs will not load in Windows 7, 64-bit because my first full install disc was released so long ago. He suggested ordering a full install disc. Which means all my discs and the money invested are useless. I am sick to think I have wasted all that money and they are not offering some substitute for resolving this problem. Like a full install disk (first time installation)in the 2009.5 that they have on record for me. ( The copy they have on file indicates that it was a full install but it was an upgrade.) Then I could update to 2010 with my update disc.

Veteran
Veteran
BIAB works fine in Windows 7 64-bit, so there will be a solution; don't give up and don't purchase anything else.

I suggest you call PG Music and ask for support. See if you can get Kent or Andrew.

There was another recent thread with a similar question, and the advice given there was to go back to version 2009 and install that, then updates. There was no rationale given for this answer, but we guessed that the person had purchased the megapak of version 2009 and updates from there.

In the meantime, use Computer to navigate to the install program on your DVD (might be Setup.EXE) and right-click on the file, select Run as Administrator, and then Troubleshoot Compatibility.

EDIT. I just saw the latest post. I agree with the others that you shouldn't need to do anything special. Nevertheless, when Rob was suggesting to get an install disc from PG Music, did he say there would be a charge for this?

Last edited by Matt Finley; 10/04/10 04:45 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Then you have been very lucky or the man upstairs just takes kindly to you two.
All of mine, in the header over the "Agreement" state that it must be installed over the previous version. They are not stand alone programs (full install) but only upgrades.

OK, time for PG Support to chime in and clarify this for us all!

Quote:

Which means all my discs and the money invested are useless. I am sick to think I have wasted all that money and they are not offering some substitute for resolving this problem. Like a full install disk (first time installation)in the 2009.5 that they have on record for me. ( The copy they have on file indicates that it was a full install but it was an upgrade.) Then I could update to 2010 with my update disc.

I think a number of us have been burned in one way or another and to some extent by the conversion to Win7. I lost ProTools and my Mbox, .... But I did find Reaper and my Audiophile 192 as a result . Stay positive, good things come to good people.

vzudell Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Jazzmandan, You are a blessing to this forum!!! You make me smile when I am disconcerted and confused.
Thank you. I have been working all day on this new computer Windows 7, I am having trouble doing anything or finding anything as it is so different from my old familiar XP. I am finding it harder and harder to make changes as I get older and this one is a "WHOPPER" for me. I think Gail from PG sales is going to send me a link for an install for 2009.5 which is the last upgrade they have on file for me. I had to send her a photo of my disc but I think she had left for the day by the time I got it in there to her.

Matt Finley,
No, Rob didn't say there would be a charge, he only said that my old full version would not install on the 64-bit machine and that I should use the latest full install disk which he was assuming was the 2009.5 that they have on record. Of course that won't work either because it is an upgrade too and not a full install version. So that put me back in the same position I was in before. Needing a more recent full install version. At that point I was getting so frustrated that I was not getting through what I needed. I guess I assumed that I would have to purchase a new full install version but then the message from Gail came through offering to send me a link for installing 2009.5 if I sent her a photo of my last 2009 version. I also sent her a photo of what I thought was my 2010 disc only to discover later that is was a photo of my version 10 disc. So you can see how confused I have become. I have BIAB discs scattered from here to eternity on every available surface. I need to get out of my office and go to bed. Thanks for listening and your suggestions. I had already done the compatibility thing, got the same result (not compatible)

Veteran
Veteran
I think you'll find that when they send you a link for 2009.5, you will get a fully installable version. There may be several large files to download, but it will be worth it. Once you download the files, be sure to save them off to some other media, like a DVD (won't fit on CD anymore), so you have them for the future..

Let us know how it goes. My experience, however, is that even upgrades are fully installable on their own, so I'm betting the link they send you will probably be the same thing. That will bring you up to 2009.5, and from there you can upgrade with any later versions.

When you get it, don't install the VSC (there should be a checkbox if you do a custom install), or you will have problems. Also, you will find that if you right click on the installation file and select "Run As Administrator" that things should go more smoothly. BIAB definitely works on Windows 7 64-bit, as many of us here can attest.

Good luck.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Don't care what it says on the 2009 disc. Did you try it?

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
vzudell Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Silvertone, Yes I did try it and it too was to be installed over previous version but that is all solved now as Gail sent me a link to a full install version of 2009.5 which I have already downloaded and installed with success. Have only to add in my backed up files of my own creation and get on with it. PG music has come through again and I am so grateful to them and all of you for your concern and suggestions.

Veteran
Veteran
Great.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,844
Posts737,910
Members38,597
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
longus, Jase Oz, RWSwan, dedlyfish, Tnfkd
38,596 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 179
rsdean 119
DC Ron 106
dcuny 100
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.