Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My 2 cents . . . At this point in time in my life I would not trade BIAB Real Drums for any living drummer, but I for one am very fortunate to have gigged with a few pretty damn good drummers and would not trade even one of those gigs for computerized drums.

Later,

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
How did you get introduced to BIAB? My wife’s cousin was a computer software nut. Although he was a non musician he bought BIAB just to see what it did, he had that kind of curiosity.. He gave me his copy to try out, I liked it , I bought it.
What year/version was it? I think about 1995-version 5
What kind of computer did you have at the time? Pentium ll
Was it a successful experience right away? Yes. The program was much simpler then, and the sound and versatility was heads above those “organ rhythm machines”. Type in the chords, pick a style, and have a back-up band in 5 minutes or less.
Have you changed your gear to accommodate BIAB in any way? Yes, I upgraded BIAB a few times then built an equivalent Pent lll, and bought a Roland SCC1 sound card. Back then that card made my system sing. Later after a few more upgrades I bought a Roland SD8820 that provided even more sound and flexibility.I still have the SD8820.(at that time I started purchasing PTPA ver 3.5) Then I bought my current, used Pent lV and dropped 3-120 gb HD’s into it. Also, picked up a used Layla 20 and a Roland VS880. I would set up the song in BIAB and send it to PTPA. I would sync the PTPA to the Roland to get separate tracks, and write and arrange my material and re-record it. Then send I would send it back to PTPA to burn it.
Has BIAB influenced how/why you play music? Yes, it provided a backup band that gave me a base from which to expand my ad lib playing. It also gave me the confidence to feature my own material.
Have you used it mostly for practice, performance, recording, instruction, other? I mostly use BIAB for vocal practice. Years back when I had more time I would do a lot of writing and recording. What I do now is type our swing band vocal arrangement into BIAB and burn it to disc. I then play it in the car and sing along with it while I am on the road. Over the past few years I have been caught up in work, consequently I haven’t kept up with using either BIAB/PTPA to full capability even though I have kept up with the new releases.
Any other observations not listed here? I Although not a long time forum user, I have been a long time BIAB user and forum “lurker”. When I have time I first check my emails then the forum before anything else. I would like to thank BIAB for providing an excellent product and great customer relations, and this forum’s members for their prompt and unselfish assistance in using the products.

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

How did you get introduced to BIAB?

In Feb 2006 I had just returned to music after not playing for 29 years. I bought a sax but realized I didn't have the lungs for it anymore. I felt devastated. When I found out about windcontrollers, I was blown away!
I ordered one the next day. (had it over-nighted...couldn't wait)
Someone on the windcontroller forum mentioned BIAB. I saw the video and was so excited my jaw dropped! WHAT???? YOU TYPE CHORDS & IT MAKES A SONG???!!!
I couldn't believe how far music had come. I couldn't believe something like this even existed!
Quote:

What year/version was it?

Quote:

What kind of computer did you have at the time?

Dell P4
Quote:

was it a successful experience right away??

I wrote & recorded my first song, The Nod the day BIAB arrived!
Quote:

Have you changed your gear to accommodate BIAB in any way?

Not for BIAB. I had laptop issues that needed to be resolved for PT.
Quote:

Has BIAB influenced how/why you play music?

A combo of BIAB & PT has allowed me to play some one man gigs. Something I never could have done/imagined.
As to how or why...? The folks on the PG forum were more influential than the program.
Quote:

have you used it mostly for practice, performance, recording, instruction, other?

Mainly song creation with recording into RealBand.
Quote:

any other observations not listed here?

The biggest asset to BIAB & it's sister programs is this forum & the people in it.
My life has become enriched because of you. I am so happy to know you.

Mick

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
My older brother had the 1st version of biab. it was on one of those floppy 5" or so discs....he carted a desktop to gigs and used a separate keyboard for the sounds...We thought technology was so advanced then:)

...........Jeff......
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Really, those basic MIDI concepts, like using a separate keyboard for sounds haven't really changed much. Soft synths are pretty cool, but I bet many more professional musicians still use an external synth when performing.

I do remember those days though

"You mean we can have that exact arpeggio start the song with the perfect tempo every time??"
:noddin&smilin:

(80's dance scene; yeah I was there)
get off my lawn!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Without listing all of the questions, mainly because it would be difficult to answer some of 'em through either lack of exact memory, IE date, and lack of experience.
I first saw a cardboard box on the shelf of a local music and musical instrument shop, (Store) when I went in for some new strings for the guitar I was trying to learn how to play. That was a few years before I bought a PC and started learning how to use one of them. I asked what the heck is this Band in a box thing? expecting to see some new fangled bit of hardware. The guy in the shop explained it was software for computers, I immediately lost interest and bought my strings. Technologically, I was a bit behind, even though I was repairing basic electronic control systems on machinery at work.
My first PC was an E Machines, with not a lot of RAM, an 80 GB hard drive, and the year was 2004 so a 2.7GHZ single core processor. At that time I knew nothing about computers, but wanted to learn and see what a computer could do for me musically.
my first software, musical that is, was Notations 2 by Magix software. That got me interested, so bought both the two notational and possibly the most expensive software available in 2006, Sibelius, and Finale.
A year later is when I finally got Band in a box.
How do I use it, well mainly as an on going teaching myself music aid, though other things did take over, like playing cornet in an award winning brass band and learning how to get better at playing that, so somehow BIAB has taken a back seat. However I recently dropped from playing in the band, mainly to get my life back I suppose, so I am slowly getting back into music for fun rather than music to win prizes. BIAB should become more of a front runner now.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
It was 1993... I just sprung over 2 grand for a new "state of the art" IBM clone as they used to call it. It was a 486 with 2mb ram and a 250mb HD. I was running Windows 3.1... I used to love it when I'd start up my system and got the DOS prompt, where I would type "win" and Windows would start up. Back then most software came from other people... there wasn't very much talk about pirate stuff. I had the newest BB version along with Powertracks that were given to me on a couple of 3.5 floppys. I also had I think, 2 more floppys with the styles. Getting this software pushed me to get a Roland Rap-10 sound card - $300. It also made me go out and pay $300.00 for another 2mb of ram. Once I made a recording on my Yahama 4 track recorder (yep... bought one of those too because of BB) I would blow family and friends away with the professional sound they heard from my cassettes.

I seemed to slowly get away from doing my computer music stuff because of trying to work 2 jobs... music 6 nights a week and a day job 5 days a week. This schedule really didn't leave a lot of time for anything else. However, that being said, I gave up the music job a few years ago and really didn't think I would miss it. A year and a half ago I stumbled on to this site, started listening to the demos and getting answers to all the questions I had pertaining to BB/RB, took a deep breath and ordered the whole shabang. One of the best investments I've ever made. Once I started using BB I realized that I really did miss the music job... not the clubs... just the music. BB has put the interest back in to it. Now my family and friends are blown away when they hear my CD's... heh. How times have changed.

Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I saw it on eBay listed by a music store. Then I came here and lurked. I searched the web for everything anyone had to say about it. Got version 2008 for Christmas but I didn't use it much except to write a few songs. After I upgraded to 2009 I had more time to start really enjoying it. I had zero experience in computer recording. I tried another DAW but it was so complicated. Then came Realband - a perfect match for BIAB - and lots of help from kind folks here.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

From my first guitar teacher.

Ironically, he hasn't used it since and I've been giving $$$$$$ to PGMusic all these years.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,516
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173