Index
#88729 - 10/23/10 05:01 PM [User Showcase] Put It Out
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

simpletonguru with Jazzmandan.
http://audiomastering-online.com/stuff/PutItOutjmd2b.WMA

Most tracks recorded in PT12 and then mixed in RB.
Jazzmandan recorded his tracks separately, processed them, and sent them to me to mix in with the rest.
His guitar tracks brought it to life.
Thanks for the tracks, Dan!

There was a thread recently debating the need for drummers; this song is an example of the difference a good drummer can make.

Tim Dubay - drums
Jazzmandan -lead guitars
the rest - Barry and I (simpletonguru)

#88730 - 10/23/10 07:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: rharv]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hey rharv,

This is really good. The production, the arrangement, the song are absolutely spectacular. Dan's guitar work is sensational! I really like the voice of the lead vocalist. Is it you? The one thing that didn't work for me entirely was the vocal harmony. Every once in a while there seemed to be a note that jarred against the melody. It was only an occasional note and really didn't detract from the overall. It might have been my ears, though. I pass the comment on simply for what it's worth.

You've got my standing ovation on this one. The 5+ minutes just flew and the song did not seem long at all.

Thank you for posting this. It was a pleasure to listen to.

Regards,
Noel

#88731 - 10/23/10 08:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Chicago
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

rharv called and asked if I wanted to have some fun? OMG, what a blast for me I got to play rockstar for just a moment.

#88732 - 10/23/10 10:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: MusicStudent]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Superb sound. Fantastic guitar work. I especially loved the bass - so punchy with no mud. I felt like I was right in the room with the band caught up in the music and the mix. Rock On!

#88733 - 10/24/10 01:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: Sundance]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Thanks, especially to Dan.

Barry did lead vocals (as usual)
I think we both did backup vocals, so those couple notes may well be me. They could be tuned, but then some of the live feel is lost. For what its worth, Dan mentioned those couple notes too!

Bass is my Steinberger bass; I really like that sound. It is one of my better bass performances.
Barry did lead keyboards, I did chord comps.
Dan did lead guitar, I did chords on left side guitar.

My friend Tim Dubay sat in on drums, played to the click with rock steady perfection. His performance is a big part of this song, but he fits in so well you hardly notice him. Sign of a great drummer.

Edited by rharv (10/24/10 01:40 AM)

#88734 - 10/24/10 04:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: rharv]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Top marks to all concerned. Excellent musicianship on a cool song, with a nice 'live' vibe. Very enjoyable!

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#88735 - 10/24/10 12:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
very original sound! Kudos to all!

#88736 - 10/24/10 12:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: rharv]
Loc: Louisiana
Marty Wittmann Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Louisiana
Great song! I love it when artist think out of the box. Kudos to Jazzmandan! Nice flow and punchy bass audio. Keep up the good work and I can't wait for the next hit!
Marty

Band In A Box (current) Sonar Producer X2, Windows 7, 16 Gigs Ram, Quad Core, AMD Processor, Alesis MK2 Monitors, Roland Quad Capture Audio Interface,

#88737 - 10/24/10 06:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: Marty Wittmann]
rharv Offline
Veteran

We had fun! Thanks for comments.

Looking forward to collabing with more members here.
Curious; how were we 'out of the box' with this one?

#88738 - 10/24/10 08:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: rharv]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

Hi rharv,

Very enjoyable listen for me and I would like to add my congrats to all involved.

quote/ Curious; how were we 'out of the box' with this one? endquote

I'm sure different folks will have different answers, but for me, nothing outside the box as far as genre. For me the label on this box is funk -- pure plain and simple. (not sayin' that's the correct label, just the one I'd put on it. lol)

Where this is a bit unusual (for me anyway) is the "live" sound it has. Josie mentioned it above and I totally agree. I'm playing this on a very good system and I can close my eyes and easily imagine being front row at a live gig. (sans the crowd noise of course. lol)

I think a lot of mixers (sadly me included) would have pushed your bass back a bit, pumped the lead out more in places, tried to "fix" the harmonies, added a ton of compression to every track, added a bit of verb here and there, more compression, run the final thru some finishing plugs for some added high end, add a little more compression, then finally, run it thru a good compressor.

I may have gone a bit overboard there, but the point is, I would never have got to hear the good "live" mix at all as I would have done at least some of those things almost automatically. lol

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
Jim

#88739 - 10/24/10 08:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: jim111]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Quote:

For me the label on this box is funk -- pure plain and simple.

Totally agree - its that thumping bass that gives it that vide. But the vocals are much more alt-rock. The combination certainly adds appeal.

Quote:

Where this is a bit unusual (for me anyway) is the "live" sound it has. Josie mentioned it above and I totally agree. I'm playing this on a very good system and I can close my eyes and easily imagine being front row at a live gig. (sans the crowd noise of course. lol)

This is something very characteristic of rharv's work. It drives my monitors also. It has a big "live" sound. In this respect I think we have a ringer in the group. rhave mixes and masters like a pro.

#88740 - 10/25/10 02:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: MusicStudent]
Loc: Pine Bluff, Arkansas
retake Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Pine Bluff, Arkansas
You guys did an outstanding job! I really enjoyed listening.

Steve

#88741 - 10/25/10 08:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: retake]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I agree with everything that has been said thus far.

Outstanding work guys – keep it up!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#88742 - 10/26/10 08:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: rharv]
Loc: uk
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

This type of music doesnt get me jumping up&down but I recognise quality in the performance and the singer has a great voice.It certainly had the live sound but I would have preferred a studio mix.. thats just my preference.cheers Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar

#88743 - 10/26/10 08:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: tributeman]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Quote:

This type of music doesnt get me jumping up&down but I recognise quality in the performance and the singer has a great voice.It certainly had the live sound but I would have preferred a studio mix.. thats just my preference.cheers Frankie

Frankie, thanks for listening and the nice words, but, the kicker here is this was a studio mix. Well at least the guitar was. Rharv can clarify but I believe non of the tracks were from a live performance. Getting a live sound, from a mix of stuido tracks, is indeed one of the highlights of this piece.

#88744 - 10/26/10 08:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: MusicStudent]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Well, it was suppose to sound like a live jam. At least that was my goal.
Thought it would help give the song some life.

Thanks for lstening and commenting frankie, Mario, and retake.
We had fun.

#88745 - 10/26/10 09:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: MusicStudent]
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

what I was trying to say but putting it badly was mixing the song as you would normally mix it without going for a "live sound" effect.I listened to the track through my studio monitors and found the bass right out in front and the drums way in the background and it sounded as if it was a rough mix.but I know this was done to get that live feel but it wasnt to my taste even though many people here had no problem with that type of mix.Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar

#88746 - 10/26/10 04:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: tributeman]
Loc: USA
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: USA
Late to the party here but also wanted to ad my kudos to you guys, this was very well done.

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#88747 - 10/27/10 11:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: Danny C.]
Loc: Venezuela
CarlosEArellano Offline
Productor Musical

Loc: Venezuela
Definitely a nice sample of live and organical sound! Nobody would guess a computer behind the recording. I think is a honest work, full of human touch, a bit in the realm of "on stage jam" sound which make it even more enjoyable to me. Great guitars (love your mood way here Dan!), voice, drums, bass, moogy synth (cool touch btw!). Up Thumbs to the complete band !! thanks for sharing.

Carlos

#88748 - 10/27/10 06:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Put It Out [Re: CarlosEArellano]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Great guitars (love your mood way here Dan!), .

Carlos

Understand that any favorable comment on my playing contribution is always appreciated (you guys are always the gentlemen ), however, you know how much I respect your playing Carlos, so this simple comment from you is one I appreciate the most.

Perhaps a bit lost in translation (..mood way?), - I interpret this as a "feel" which you heard. I know playing is technique, knowledge and heart. Technique and knowledge can be learned, alas it may take a lifetime, however, "Feel" comes from the heart, and that has to just be there. Your words encourage me. Thank you Maestro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 Updated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 has been updated with a small Free Update Patch that can be downloaded here.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 is packed with 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles, including new gospel & folk categories!

Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info!

See how easy it is to load and use these Loops in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for these new Loops & Styles when you watch our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos.

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac user? Click here for Mac purchase links and details.

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2!

We're delighted to be adding 200 GROUNDBREAKING RealStyles to the Band-in-a-Box® collection with Xtra Styles PAK 9!

Our new Rock-Pop additions include neo soul with vocals, classic ska with a horn section, a psychedelic sixties pop ballad, heavier action-scene cinematic metal, post-punk folk rock, six-substyle gospel pop MultiStyle with vocals, and more!

With the latest Jazz Xtra Styles, we've added everything from quarter-feel jazz blues to New Orleans Gospel to jazzy disco funk and gentle bossa folk pop, and more! We've also included a brand-new (huge!) ten-substyle "changes" jazz swing MultiStyle with three different soloist options!

The newest Country RealTracks are a real treat! We've fused folk and Americana instruments with the country sounds you know and love: ethereal and songwriter country ballads, a country rock march, country pop with layered cellos, a country soul groove, and much, much more! The included six-substyle summertime country pop MultiStyle will help you create your perfect summertime hit!

Plus, we've added to our Folk & Beyond collection with our Xtra Styles PAK 9 release! There are 50 fresh new styles, including a Cajun jaw harp boogie, cinematic folk with strings, a modern Celtic folk reel, a gentle three-guitar folk ballad, delta blues with shaker - the list goes on! Add Folk & Beyond 2 and you'll also receive a brand-new eight-part mountain folk MultiStyle!

There are 50 new RealStyles in each genre - get them ALL for only $29 until June 30th! Learn more, listen to demos and order here.

But wait... there's MORE!

We've also rolled out 50 NEW Styles and 100 NEW Loops in Loops-with-Style PAK 2!
Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info! Genres include Electronic, Funk, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World, plus we're introducing two new genre categories - Gospel and Folk!

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac User? Click here for Mac details and purchase links.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows is Xtra Ready!

We never stop! The latest free patch update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows readies the program for the just-launched Xtra Styles PAK 9 (on sale until June 30th - learn more here)!

Update to build 721 and you'll see that we've improved the step-advancing notes display, updated the key command criteria for looping bars from the chordsheet, fixed email client integration, and more.

If you are a Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows user, you'll definitely want to update to the latest free patch update!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 721 for Windows and download it here.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box Finds!

I don't know about everyone here, but now that I've settled in to our "new normal" I've taken to rearranging and dusting off many things in order to keep busy and productive!

I'm picking up old hobbies, picking up clutter around the house, and as it turns out - finding forgotten picks!

We snagged these gems many, many, many years ago after The NAMM Show one winter. Check out the old Band-in-a-Box logo! Click here...

Have any of you come across something nostalgic like this these days? Let's see it!
(remember the first Audiophile version?!)

-Callie
Team Marketing

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac … WOW!

"Dr. Dave" Walker (Dr. Dave On Music) recently received Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac, and he absolutely loves it!

He's written his thoughts in detail, which can (and definitely should) be read here: Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac … WOW!

"Band-in-a-Box 2020 is a huge advance over even BB2019, with easier to use, more powerful features that give you more information while creating more musical results. You have never had more control of more features which are now much easier to find. The move forward with this version is astonishing. Again … WOW!

My very highest recommendation. Just upgrade! Or if for some strange reason you don’t have it yet, BUY THIS ONE! It will change your musical life!"
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you for the review, Dr. Dave!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Windows is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato duro e abbiamo aggiunto 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks (il doppio dei 101 che abbiamo spesso pubblicato in passato), nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi strumentali, trascrizioni RealDrums, stili Extra PAK 8 e altro!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO

Forum Stats
32169 Members
65 Forums
64351 Topics
545519 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
ThierryMT44, Dorian Sequencer, anikmuan, Evan Webb, The Sauce

32168 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 197