Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#97729 12/17/10 12:39 PM
RealBand
K
OP Offline
K
I've listened to a lot of the music you folks have made and I love it. I am getting ready to buy BB I guess. But I have some more questions.

First - If I buy Band in a Box, since it has RealBand included, would I also need a separate daw? Isn't that what RealBand is? What would a separate daw do that RealBand doesn't?

Second - What kind of usb-audio interface would I need to add guitars, keyboard, and mics?

Thank you,
Kenny

kennydanner #97730 12/17/10 12:44 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You would do well to learn Realband as your DAW and see what you may need that it doesn't do.

It does some things no other DAW can do, and can't do some other things. They all have their pluses and minuses.
You'll already have it and will likely find it meets your needs for quite a while.

Question 2- How many instruments do you desire to record at a time?
What is your budget?
How will it connect? Do you have a desktop with a PCI slot, or a laptop that will need something that runs thru USB?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #97731 12/17/10 01:02 PM
RealBand
K
OP Offline
K
regarding question 2 -

how many - just one at a time.

budget - certainly no more than $150, hopefully less. the better of my two computers, the one I plan to use, is a laptop. I tried recording on it using a free multitrack recording software by coming out of a mixer and into the 1/8" mic jack. But it really sounds lousy. So I figured I needed a USB interface.

Kenny

kennydanner #97732 12/17/10 01:07 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yep USB it is then.
Lots to choose from.

I'll let others recommend.

rharv #97733 12/17/10 07:56 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
what operating system is on your laptop? The reason I ask is that some (many) USB input device drivers stopped working in Win 7 x64 bit OS

The upshot is:

1) if you are running win 7x64 you should make sure to buy a device that has a driver for that OS

2) if you don't have win 7x64, then check craig's list or Ebay, because a LOT of people who recently bought new computers are now unloading the USB input devices that no longer work on their new systems. You might pick something up for practically nothing.

Search for keywords like USB AUDIO INTERFACE

Pat Marr #97734 12/17/10 08:03 PM
RealBand
K
OP Offline
K
Hi Pat,

Thanks for your post. I'm over here in Hickory, getting ready to head to W-S tomorrow for the Danner Christmas get together.

I have Vista 64 bit OS. I do some stuff on ebay and will check that out right now. I've never looked at craig's list, but I will also do that.

Thanks. Good idea.

Kenny

kennydanner #97735 12/17/10 08:44 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran

I 'd be careful about assuming a device lacking Win7 64 support will work in Vista64 without issues.

rharv #97736 12/17/10 09:16 PM
RealBand
K
OP Offline
K
rharv,

Good point. I should look for something that specifically says it supports vista 64bit. I saw online that m-audio fast track, I think, works with windows xp and windows 7, but not vista.

Thanks,
Kenny

rharv #97737 12/18/10 01:03 AM
RealBand
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Unless you have way somewhat more than a 500 dollar walmart computer, (like add a zero) one would have to be a masochist to even think of using RealBand as a "DAW". Ha. It is unmatched for producing realistic tracks, but I can think of quite a few other programs that are considerably faster and are much better at editing, etc. I understand the difficulty of reworking a program, but Real Band/BIAB is in need of major overhaul both interface and architecture-wise. God help you if you have too much going on and cpu usage goes up. No way to stop playback other than killing the process until the whole thing stutters to an awkward stop 17 minutes later. 1995, welcome to 2010. "Whole New Look; Easier to use! FASTER" Is what I'm looking for for RB 2011.5, not 700,000 esoteric features like "now allows 6.12/8.75 time backwards, for that funny African music with the clicking sound language"

Last edited by Bill Melater; 12/18/10 01:11 AM.
Bill Melater #97738 12/18/10 04:27 AM
RealBand
Expert
Expert
I would agree in part with Bill that RealBand is not really a Daw, though it has some DAW features, but it is a good start to learning the process and its dead easy to get tracks together. C
reating orignal work where YOU want to control every drum hit, every bass line is not what its meant for.

Try KVR (website) for freebie DAWs if you find BIAB or RB limiting.

Real Band and BIAB are still fantastic though - I use BIAB more than anything else, unfortunately I can get RB working at all on my 64 bit system.
Be aware there that there are some areas of the handling of VST (virtual instruments) that really need updating and BIAB wont work with any VST.
Also setting up sound can be very strange, as they are still using (very) basic windows drivers for some tasks/set ups (where the world has moved on decades ago) although PG support is very good ( instant on line customer support). As i say, I cannot get RB working here at all - PG blame my sound card driver, but its a very upmarket sound device with no problems with other apps. There is a thirty day money back gauruntee though.

I feel both very dissappointed that PG have not provided proper sound card and VST support, and absolutely delighted with BIAB's flexibility and the authenticity of its RealTracks technology. I have got BIOAB working after a fashion and can platy along with a track but not record - using my piano VST. This alone is worth the moeny to me. Real Tracks are a huge leap forward from any other accompaniment program

Concerning the other question

With a basic sound card you will probably be limited to one (or perhaps two) mike inputs at a time. There is a difference in gain between instrument and mic inputs.

A keyboard can act as a MIDI dievice or you can input the audio out from the sound that the Keyboard is making - two different things. Think of a MIDI as a 'score', it makes no sound in itself, but it can instruct others (PCS) how to make a sound - just lioke a shhet of music. MID contains more info than a score and it related directly to the copmputer, without you having to see tghe notes. Hit a key and a 'note on' signal goes to hte sound device, take your finger off and a 'note off' signal goes. Ther are many more signals than these. Most people, though certainyl not all, use a keyboard as a MIDI device and keep their actual sound on the computer in the form of a 'virtual insrtument' of some kind.

You can use a mixer to input more than one mike simultaneously, this works after a fashion, but the signals are recorded as a whole so there are no ways to edit a particular sound.

DV247 is a good source of advice rfe particualr products

Bill Melater #97739 12/18/10 06:36 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Unless you have way somewhat more than a 500 dollar walmart computer, (like add a zero) one would have to be a masochist to even think of using RealBand as a "DAW". Ha.

I have no idea why you say that. I have a $399 eMachines (7 years old now) that will run RB with 20 audio and 50 VST FX at a time, while recording 8 more. That 'recording 8 more' part required another $200 for the soundcard, so I guess it was $600 total.
Because YOU don't get it set up and working well does not make the rest of us masochists.

It's reliable enough here that I use it to multitrack bands live sometimes. If it didn't work (or if I was even worried about it) I'd be using something else for paying gigs.

Maybe it depends on your definition of DAW. (?)

kennydanner #97740 12/18/10 08:00 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your post. I'm over here in Hickory, getting ready to head to W-S tomorrow for the Danner Christmas get together.

I have Vista 64 bit OS. I do some stuff on ebay and will check that out right now. I've never looked at craig's list, but I will also do that.

Thanks. Good idea.

Kenny

you're in Hickory NC? Cool! We should start a Carolina BIAB user group, and meet to swap ideas occasionally. (I wonder how we could find and contact all the other carolina users? would PGMusic provide that info? or would it be breach of confidentiality?)

Regarding the use of RB as a sequencer/DAW...

If money is no object, then buy all of the available sequencing programs. They all bring something unique to the mix. Conversely, they all duplicate a huge number of features.. so the cost begins to increase dramatically if you insist on owning programs that provide every single music-making possibility.

On the other hand, if money *IS* a consideration, it makes sense to use the sequencer that comes with BIAB until you hit a roadblock. Personally, I think if you aren't already committed to a different sequencer, you will go a very long time with RB before you get to the point where it won't do something you desperately want to do.

And by the time you get to that point, RB might be able to do it... it is in constant development, getting more features all the time.

rharv #97741 12/18/10 08:04 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
The people that come here trying to figure out how to use the products, probably can't play their way out of a paper bag and now are experts on DAWs.We need to make one thing REALLY clear: it doesn't matter what DAW you use it has NO affect on the sound. I have Sonar, Tracktion,Audition. They are loaded with features but to me they aren't features if you don't need them.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
silvertones #97742 12/18/10 09:10 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
as you search for USB devices that will work on your current system, you may want to consider future systems so you only have to buy once. Look for the phrase "class compliant" which I understand to mean that it doesn't require a driver at all. This allows it to run on pretty much any computer now or later.

My understanding of this may be wrong, and Surely somebody will chime in with a better description of class compliance if I'm far off the mark.

Bottom line: buy smart, buy once

Pat Marr #97743 12/18/10 10:14 AM
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I kind of fall in between Zero and Rharv, i think RB is a true DAW, it will track just fine, and has 95% of the features that any other DAW has. Let's remember one thing, RB is PTPA with added BiaB features, PTPA is a $49 program rather closer to entry level, and certainly not on par with cubase or Sonar as far as depth of features and big time plug ins go, but still very powerful.

RB does not have some of the long time developed plugs, and or deep features, but the plugins are very solid and you can mix with it. The RT/RD features and BiaB features set it apart in another direction. If you add a few choice plugins to it lime multiband EQ, multiband compression, it will stand up to almost anything.

It does a very decent job of midi editing, and if you dig in the audio editing is pretty good. There are so many programs out there that have some feature that is there claim to fame, and people bark about how perfect they are, but they may lack in other areas that RB excels at.

RB/PTPA does need to polish up a tad, it needs better VSTi ability, and it needs to have complete envelope automation added. I will admit that the GUI look is dated, but that really has nothing to do with the ability to record, cause one persons workflow is not the same as the next persons. You hear people say PG should take the path of Sonar, and do a complete redo of the program, really go over to there forum and read a bit, every stinkin release comes with a boat load of bugs and problems, i was a die hard cake user, and never upgraded to sonar due the never finished product.

I like everyone else here wants PG to continue to develop, and hope that all our issues are addressed, but to say this is not a DAW is to over look the truth. I just tracked a new song the other day and had Zero, zip, nada, problems. flawless all the way thru. The end resulting sound was clean and clear. I will say that it does lock up once in a blue mood, and i have found that is related to the VSTi issues. I tried to use amplitude with it the other day, and it locks the system up until the song plays out. remove amplitude and all plays well.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #97744 12/18/10 04:05 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not saying RB is all he will ever need. I have other programs too. But the OP is buying Biab. RB is a natural extention that (in my eyes) qualifies as a DAW. I still don't think he needs to buy another DAW until he decides he can't do what he wants with the included stuff.

Another poster commented about needing an expensive system to run RB. I have found that not to be true in my experience. I know of a half a dozen systems that are over 5 years old that run recent versions of RB just fine, and none were real expensive to begin with.
They are set up to be audio machines though. Taking a few minutes to set up your OS for audio can make a huge difference.

rharv #97745 12/18/10 08:15 PM
RealBand
K
OP Offline
K
1. Thanks to all. Great info.

2. To Pat - Yes. A Carolina BIAB user group would be very cool.

3. I like the idea of at least trying RB as my DAW to begin with, at least until I think I need something not available on RB.

4. I did go into a music store today while I was in the "big city" (Pat - it was Jackson Music in W-S) and am now trying a TASCAM US-122mkII USB audio interface. And it came packaged with Cubase LE5. So I will see what that DAW does also.

5. To rharv - your last comment about "taking a few minutes to set up your OS for audio can make a huge difference" is very interesting. What all does that include doing?

Kenny

kennydanner #97746 12/18/10 09:27 PM
RealBand
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Quote:

5. To rharv - your last comment about "taking a few minutes to set up your OS for audio can make a huge difference" is very interesting. What all does that include doing?

Kenny

May I suggest this tech tip for you
Optimize your windows for audio

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

Brian Hughes #97747 12/18/10 11:57 PM
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob you are right on. What i meant about being between you two is that you see RB as a true full on DAW, some see it as a wannabe. I see it like you a very viable product, but one that you have to learn and setup right.

I have at least three other DAW programs on my Audio machine, it is a 8 year old AMD 2400+ XP machine with 2 gigs of ram and two hard drives. Nothing special, and it runs RB.PTPA/BiaB,MC5/MTS with ease. I use sampletank, and TTS as synths and use RTs and RDs frequently. I did set the machine up for audio/midi recording and playback. But it was a hand built system, that has at one time been the family e-mail/internet system, and at that time a DAW as well.

Since then my daughter bought a new lappy and i got here older desktop which now runs linux fedora 13 for all browsing and e-mails, and general computing. Leaving the old gal to handle recording only. She got a recent reinstall of windows and a few tweaks, the old M-audio 24/96 is 8 years in and still kicking.

I am planning a new DAW this year, but not in a hurry she records up to 12 to 15 tracks with synths and effect just fine.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Bill Melater #97748 12/19/10 01:42 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Unless you have way somewhat more than a 500 dollar walmart computer, (like add a zero) one would have to be a masochist to even think of using RealBand as a "DAW". Ha.

What? What!?! What are you talking about with your 14 posts?? This is the absolute dumbest statement I think I've ever seen on these forums. Get outta here, troll. There's pros here who do this for a living who've been using Power Tracks and now Real Band for years. It doesn't do every possible thing but it's more than adequate for a lot of reasons.

Don't believe this idiot.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,521
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173