We have a new country station here and they're playing 10,000 commercial free songs- equals a month. Anyway, I find it and I'm listening to country again a bit. There were many current songs I haven't heard yet. The vocal was so out front on most of them, I was pretty blown away. I mean, the music bed was just kinda there in the background....kinda. I was really amazed by that. Some of it is border line accapella! Even though I write country primarily, I had to back away from listening to country radio. The music makes my blood boil. It's just awful now- almost all of it. And this in-your-face vocal mixing really kills it too.

I didn't get put off by the level of your vocal Josie. There's SO much more damage that can be done to that end! LOL! That's a tough balance and a choice really. When you shop tunes, some want the vocal out front more, some don't care, and everything in between. My style is that I tend to mix the lead vocal into the mix a bit. I used to be an out-fronter though. Over time I settled into a more seated level. The level is fine on this one for me. I'd surely rather have the lead be a touch loud than too soft, which can really bring a track down.

Yes- inch by inch. Mixing is an infinite learning process, so we have many, many inches to go!

Dan