When I use vibrato on either my sax, flute, guitar or wind synth, the speed and intensity are variable, there is no "one size fits all" vibrato for all notes. Each note is treated in its context in the song I'm playing. In fact, the speed and intensity of vibrato are both often changed during the duration of the note, especially on notes that are held for a long time.

Perhaps because of this, I'm very dissatisfied with the vibrato built into most synth patches. On my Yamaha VL70m module, which I use for solo voices with my Yamaha WX5 (wind synth), I have the vibrato turned off of all the patches, and prefer to do it manually with my lip pressure on the 'reed'.

In fact, I've been known to record brass and string patches in a sequence with a keyboard synth, and then use my wind synth to record the vibrato on a different channel, and then after cleaning the track(s), mix them together so the brass and/or string vibrato was controlled by my lip and NOT the LFO.

I imagine someone with a keyboard synth could do the same with after-touch, but I'm better at the wind synth than I am at keyboard key wiggling.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks