Hi Bob
I play a lot of instruments I started on cornet and trumpet, then guitar, then sax and now keyboards. I play all styles including a lot of rock and blues mostly on sax but also guitar.

Lets get one thing out of the way BAIB will be your best ever purchase apart frrom your guitar - get it. Its got its fiobles but its absolutely great for you in so many ways. BIAB will make you want to play with a band and it will help you find out how you can achieve this.

Firstly you should know that there are different ways to learn any instrument.

1] The 'classical' route (and I dont mean just for classical music) if I can call it that, starts with some kind of tutor book a bunch of notation and set exercises. There are many limitations to this method. Its not very good at teaching your ears to hear things, also when the paper is taken away the student tends to fumble and fall over. Many 'classicaly trained' students simply cant play a note unless it is written down by somebody else. I dont think you want that do you? The classical route wont give you what you need for rock

2] The "By ear" route

With this route you simply sit by your record play (or Biab) and plunk away until you get a nice riff, repeatedly until you can make your way through a song. There are many good players that learn this way, but ask them to play a C# diminished and they fall off their stool.

3] I could call this the 'Jazz method'.

A jazz player can read music, but also understands harmony. Therefore when he learns that lick A works with bar 1 he also knows that lick A can work with bar 17, and in a lot of other song settings, he/shje will also know how to alter that lick to make it sound even better. By reading chord symbols and impovising over them,(S)he learns to free his music from the tyranny of the written note.

Obviously, these three distinctions are just stereotypes, and one can use a mixture of all ways, but many beginner rock players need help with theory. My tip is start with the blues and dont be afraid to delve into a bit of Jazz to gain that deeper understanding.

A common mistake beginner guitarist (and classical players) make is that they think they can dispense with harmonic theory - this is a very handicapping mistake, better never play a single note until you understand why its there.

This book will give you as strong theory background

Volume 1 - How To Play Jazz & Improvise Jamey Aebersold Jazz Series

Its a great accompanying volume to BIAB