Quote:

1 Multimedia speakers - which are typically too feeble
2 Near field reference monitors - which are a bit over the top on sound quality, and often not enough W
3 Disco type speakers - 500W plus monsters and probably not great sound.

So I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything else, or if not which of these will be best for my mixed
uses.

Well, it's really all about the money. What you're asking is similar to the guy who says I want the performance of a Porsche but I can only afford a Civic so please, please people tell me what can I get for the price of a Civic that drives like a Porsche? Right. There's plenty of killer high powered active monitors from JBL, Genelec, Mackie etc but they're like $1,000 or more each. JBL has a 5.1 surround sound studio mixing system for only $3,500. That's why by far the best bang for the buck is to pick up an old but still decent stereo amp/receiver for $100 and a set of decent home stereo speakers with 8-10" woofers for another couple hundred. A used 300 watt Sony home theater system that sold for $500 new would work fine too. You don't have to plug in the sats. Something like that will rock the house and sound great for maybe $300 total for good name brand pieces. The thing about home speakers is they can put out plenty of sound using prerecorded material such as CD's or Biab tracks but if you try to plug in a guitar/keyboard or mic through a mixer and play live through them you'll blow out the tweeters in a heartbeat.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.