I've been wanting this feature for years. Thanks for posting about it. I have thought about this more as a stand-along program, not a part of BIAB or anything else.

My Roland Fantom X8 synth keyboard has a feature similar to this that always records everything for the past 40 seconds. But only audio. I really want the feature for midi.

There is a lousy freeware program called midirec that records midi while running in the background, and has a clever auto-pause feature that stops recording if there is no activity for, say, 30 seconds. So you could start it first thing in the morning, save it at the end of the day, and the midi file would have all the midi data but not hours-long dead spots (voice recorder can work like this). Sounds perfect. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it work well for me (probably old, not W7, not 64 bit, who knows?). Contacted the author (China, I think), no response.

Also, there is freeware virtualpiano which is a fine midi recorder/player and more, also records midi in the background, but does not have the auto-pause feature. I contacted the author and suggested the auto-pause feature. He replied back suggesting it would be added soon. That was months ago.

So does anyone know of a program that does this. Us noodlers could sure use it.

kelso

Dell Desktop XPS 8100 W10 HomePrem/64 / Core i5 760 (quad, 2.8GHz) / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB SATA / ViewSonic VG2428wm / EMU1616 PCI / Event ASP6 Active Monitors / BIAB 2019 64 bit (609) / Cakewalk