OK, here are some details about my "stuff" and my gigs

I have had the Fantom X8 for a while and I use it in my Music room...mostly at home. It is an "88" and weighs a lot... I usually carry a Ensoniq KS-32 for pads on the gig. I have been using coyote WT until lately and I upgraded to Forte. The difference in midi sound was amazing to me...then I read in the forums about how much better the high-end synths were... I realized I probably owned one in the Roland X8 and could avoid spending a hunk of cash if I was willing to carry it to the gig with me.

I have been playing BIAB directly from computer into a 500w Yamaha EMX5104c Stereo powered mixer into either/or (depending on room) 2 Bose 802's and/or 2 Kustom 15/horn enclosures. I carry my bass amp: 100w Roland Cube. I use the stereo to place myself on the vocals/bass/tpt and the keyboardist on vocals/keys...very simple but has worked well so far.

I am a Jazz Trumpet player w/some doubles...Ha! I was on the road for over 20 years. Being a horn player, I have never been satisfied with midi horns in section patches and that is not available in RTs, yet. So when I heard the improvement of the Coyote Forte, I had to start exploring even better sounds...

Examples of different types of songs we might have in a set:
This Masquerade (Benson)
Don't Get Around Much Anymore
All the Things You Are
Don't Be Cruel
Moon Dance
Crazy
The Very Thought of You
You Don't Know Me
You'll Never Find (Lou Rawls)
Dancing in the Dark (Springsteen)

I was not aware of the X8s ability to control play back on the gig...that's great...but maybe a big learning curve for me...BUT I would love to have that ability!

I was thinking of running BIAB/RB on the gig as usual and using the midi sounds from the Fantom instead of Coyote Forte...but my thinking is changing due to the experience and expertise in all your responses...Thanks!

I use RTs every chance I get and have never been a midi fan until lately...it is improving enough to please my "purist" attitude... In fact, I avoided BIAB for years simply to avoid midi drum sounds... When I heard the RealDrums...I was sold!

Forgive my long Bio...just wanted to answer your questions and give a little insight to my thinking on this matter

Thanks All!
Ken

Blessings!
Ken Hicks