You're from Michigan Rharv. Ever read a UAW contract? Anything worth millions (billions) of dollars is negotiated down to the tiniest detail and one side or the other will enforce it.

One last example then I'm done with this too. I mentioned earlier I used to import vehicles from Canada in the 80's. We usually shipped them on big car carriers but one time I drove a nice late model Ford F350 XLT Lariat crew cab one ton dually from Calgary to the border crossing south of Vancouver. Just what people like GDaddy want to haul a big 5th wheel trailer around. When you arrive at the Customs inspection station, that vehicle must meet all US EPA and DOT environmental and safety laws. That means all the smog equipment must be fully functional, all the safety equipment like seat belts and proper safety glass have to be there and the correct EPA and DOT stickers have to be on the vehicle too. You can't have a non DOT approved replacement windshield for example. The agent walks up to me totally stone faced which is typical. I'm reminded of the line from the first Men in Black "yes ma'am, we at the FBI have no sense of humor that we're aware of". Right. He inspects the paperwork, goes over the truck with a fine tooth comb and while looking at the engine asks me "are you aware this vehicle does not meet EPA regs?" I about dropped a load in my pants. This is a twenty thousand dollar truck. He points out the belt was missing on the smog pump. A five buck part. He goes on to say how he can impound the vehicle and send it to a crusher and arrest me for smuggling and do I understand this? I go into my best Jackie Gleason impression "hummmanna, hummmanna, hummanna...I had no idea, our mechanic must have missed that, I'm so sorry". He finally said he's giving me two hours to get that vehicle in compliance or he will issue a warrant and forward it to the Canadian authorities and they will pick me and my truck up and present me back to US Customs. Oh, and he's carrying a big gun too.

Those people don't screw around and Gibson knows that. I think it's likely they would have busted Gibson for 1mm much less 4. Also I'm pretty sure there's actually a big, obvious difference between sawn logs no matter how small they are and veneer sheet. I could probably research that as well but I've done enough research for one thread.

My personal feeling on this is the problem for Gibson was the falsification of the consignor's final delivery address. That looks bad. If the consignor was correctly listed as Gibson Guitars this may not have been so serious. Hopefully the feds decide quickly a wrist slap is appropriate, no trial, the lesson is taught and Gibson can get back to work making fine guitars.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.