All good stuff, thanks Pat.

check list:

1) your track is set to the same midi channel as the device? Channel 5 on both devices
2) Is a port assigned to it? is the track using the same port? On RB I have Port 5, but I don't have a similar option on the VLT - it only specifies the channel
3) if it's a USB connection, in your MIDI device selection, is the USB device selected as one of your midi devices? It is USB and this should be set

6) is the device turned on? does it get its power from the USB cable, or a wall wart? OK, good questions I did recheck all is good.
7) are you sure the MIDI or USB cable is good? USB cable is communicating all other info.
8) if plugged into a power strip, is the strip turned on? OK, double checked all is good.

Um, that's about all the reasons I can think of for it to not work.
It's gotta be one of those things... either that, or it's something else

first thing I'd check is the port. People tend to get the channel right but forget that the port needs to match too.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper