I understand what you guys are saying but now I guess I'm very confused about what RealBand is versus Band in a Box. In fact, I'd say that now I have no idea what RealBand actually is capable of doing versus BIAB except for the fact that the latter doesn't use any audio sound samples.

(1) If every note in RB seems to be shown on the screen, couldn't and shouldn't that also correspond to MIDI data? I'm assuming that while it's audio, associated MIDI data should be present so you can, e.g. trigger an external module to double the track. Following this:

(2) Why are these two programs different? Yes, I've seen a number of questions about the confusion but the website doesn't make it clear at all. It just says "RB is real sounds, not MIDI" I guess meaning not MIDI data triggering a sample. With BIAB, you can add notes using MIDI but RB is basically the manipulation of audio files and not the same as hitting notes in MIDI that would trigger a sampler.

(3) How flexible is RB v. BIAB? I would think that the latter should be more appropriate for certain things, e.g. chord inversions since if it's audio, there should be less you can do with such discrete data. In BIAB if I play inversions I think BIAB will put together a chord structure that matches my playing. But what about in RB? Do you just put in chords and some predefined rhythm plays? What if you want to move upwards in the scale, e.g. C to F to G versus C to F to low G - how does RB track this and how can you control it to make each sound right for the direction of the music? What about solos? How are these created? Are they predefined riffs that will result in pretty much the same solos time and time again, e.g. if you have the same C-F-G progression for 1 measure each you'll get the same solo in two songs?

(4) While I'm sure RB is a pretty good editor, I see too many people going elsewhere with the data to master it in something like Reaper. Why is this? The reason I am questioning going with a tool like Reason 6 is because they will provide you with numerous additional plugins and effects, e.g. voice manipulation, etc. Some have pitch correct (which still doesn't sound right to "correct" but great for a certain vocal effect in current pop music.)

I apologize that I may be asking beginners questions but this is addressed nowhere in the FAQ or seemingly elsewhere. Thanks again to everyone for your answers.