I assume that you are familiar with BIAB, except that you don't seem to be aware that you can use so-called Real instruments there, too. Real Tracks are digitized clips--loops, if you will, except that you don't have the same control as you would in, say, Acid--that are manipulated in the same way as BIAB's MIDI data. You can do time stretching and change keys, so you are not limited in tempo or pitch.

Most of us can't play the range if instruments, don't have access to the recording gear, and/or don't know other people who do or have this stuff that are willing to come to your place and record. If you like the idea of using real axes played by real musicians in your work along with the MIDI, I think you'll be impressed.

Real Band is an entry-level sequencer designed to import up to eight tracks created in BIAB and give you 40 additional tracks which can be used for MIDI or audio. What sets it apart from any other sequencer/DAW is that you can use Real Tracks in ways that you can't in BIAB, or in any other sequencer. You can have multiple instruments. You can regenerate tracks, or sections of tracks, until an instrument is playing what you want it to.

I've only v.2009.5 and haven't used RB much. Others who are much more knowledgeable will chime in and amplify me remarks. I'm also told that RB is a pretty good MIDI editor. Again, I haven't tried that; I have used Reason for that. But it comes bundled with BIAB, so you essentially get it for free. Try it, you'll like it! I have been mightily impressed by the results I've gotten with my feeble experiments.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."