It's been a while since I'd done anything with BiaB, so I figured I'd put together a short instrumental. One of these days I'll do a vocal song - I promise! But not today.

Leisurely Rendezvous

I'm cheating all the way here, with BiaB doing all the heavy lifting. The backing track is _PAT_JFG Easy Folk Rock with the New Age Pan Flute - Peru auto generating the melody until I found something I liked. I edited the melody a bit to add variety, but not that much - mostly changing directions of the melodic line so it didn't spend as much time in the lower register, or pitching phrases up/down a third for variety. The melody editor can still be a bit frustrating at times, but is very nice.

The melody could stand a bit more trimming - some of the held notes at the end of phrases don't really need to be there. But there's a time to stop messing with something and consider it done.

I rendered a number of additional RealTracks, as well as MIDI strings from other styles. I wish there were a way of picking MIDI parts the way you can pick RealTracks. I also went through and created a version of the song with only held chords, and rendered a number of RealTracks with that as well - guitar strums, electric pianos, and so on.

All this got exported into Reaper, where I bounced the melody line between various instruments using Garritan Personal Orchestra to render them. There was a nice "echo" line that came from staggering the melody line, with some editing in Reaper's MIDI editor to make the lines fit nicely.

After I got it sort of working, I worked on cutting it down to size and trying to get some sort of build and cadence at the end - mostly via MIDI editing and volume envelopes. The ending is a bit more cluttered that I'd like, but it's just a demo.

I even cheated with the title, using BiaB's title-generator until it sparked an idea to something I liked.

That's a lot of work for music that's "automatically generated".

Anyway, hopefully you'll find it a pleasant diversion.