Hi Rod,
Thanks for your encouraging comments.
Yes you did hear tubular bells, and I'm trying to recreate the style that I used. But the song was recorded a couple of years ago and my computer got burned up in a power failure. So some data was lost. However I have been able to recover some and when I find the style I'll repost. This I do remember. We first recorded it in BIAB then went over to Real Band and regenerated.
As far as your own efforts are concerned, I held back for a long time too. I was taking steel guitar lessons at the time, and one of my assignments was to write a tune. It was just before Christmas so I thought I'd write lyrics as well, and dreamed up the idea of using musical terms for the names of the elves.
My teacher gave me high marks for the effort. I had Tara record the song when she was 13 years old. But it only ran one minute and eleven seconds. The following year I added a couple of verses so the song would run a little longer and Tara recorded it again. The final version runs about 2 1/2 minutes.
Since I fool around with animation I always intended to do and animation for the song, and completed it just this week. The program I used is Hash Animation Master. I'm not much of an animator and a pro would have done much better, but it seems to work.
As far as Tara is concerned she's growing up, she's 17 now and is turning in to quite a talented beauty as you may have noticed on her website. She plans to continue her education in music and drama.
But I would encourage you not to hold back. Just give it a shot. I'm no musician by any means compared with the people I hear on this site but I do enjoy fooling with lyrics and melody. At age 75 it keeps me out of my rocking chair.

Good luck

Ed

Old Ed