For shipping price I'd trade your M40f/s for my M-50 .. it'd cost us both a few bucks to ship, but I'd do it. I like the M40, so any risk would be on your side as to whether or not you like the M50 better. They cost more, but that doesn't matter to me. I'd "trade down" for the ones I like better.

I asked you a question above, have you done a mix using M40f/s and then listened on other systems?
Not just listening to the same song on different systems (useless for our purpose).

Actually open your DAW and do a mix using the M40f/s to create the new mix on .. then burn it to CD and go listen to it on other systems. That is what you are after; a monitor system that makes your mixes sound good on other systems .. not make an existing good mix sound 'better'. It's kind of a reverse point of view.
Instead of a known mix sounding 'good' on a given system, what you're after is a given mix sounding good on an unknown system.

Really; try a mix using M40, then listen in car, on boom box, and on best system you have. See how it 'translates' to other systems.
Then listen again in M40f/s (after taking notes) and see if you can pick up what you didn't like on any of the other systems. If you can suddenly hear it now, you need to learn the M40f/s better .. if not maybe a different model will work better for you. Whatever you use you have to 'learn' them.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome