Quote:

I bought the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones today -- I think they are going back. They are pretty tight around the head and I can't really tell enough difference between them and the 40's to justify keeping them. I did a lot of reading too -- and while the 280's have fans, it has many more detractors. The ATH-M50's seem to be the clear winners (although a lot of folks don't agree).

rharv -- how old are your 50's and what kind of shape are they in? ha, ha!

I am going to do as much listening over the next few days with the 40's to see if I'll keep them. I can always send them back and just wait for the 50's to go on sale.

This is tougher than I expected. I bet if I had just gone ahead and got the Sony MDR7506's, I would have been happy since I have used Sony headphones all along.

Kevin

Let me see if I can get through to you one more time. The ATH M40fs are accurate headphones that are great for engineers for mixing tracks. You are approaching this like a guy looking for a set of headphones to put on and listen to his favorite music while relaxing. Two different approaches. Nearfield monitors suck to listen to music on.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php