Quote:

Let me see if I can get through to you one more time. The ATH M40fs are accurate headphones that are great for engineers for mixing tracks. You are approaching this like a guy looking for a set of headphones to put on and listen to his favorite music while relaxing. Two different approaches. Nearfield monitors suck to listen to music on.

Yes, I see how my description of my needs can be confusing. I need the best "mixing" headphones I can get in my price range (~$100). The main issue I have with the 40's is that they are a little "tinny" to my ears with not enough bass. Since my mixes sometimes have too much "boom" in them, I am afraid that I will bump the bass too much. Now maybe the sound in the 40's is exactly what I need and I just need to train my ears. However, after reading lots of reviews and threads, the "consensus of opinion" is that the 50's just translate better because the bass mix is more "real". This could be wrong and the 40's could be great for me -- but I am blundering ahead! I am either going to get the 50's or the sony 7506's (or keep the 40's) and be done with it (I can't swing the 7509's right now).

Now everyone says you shouldn't mix with headphones (especially closed-end), but that's what I got right now. I plan to get monitors also (maybe later this year). It looks like that discussion is even more confusing with opinions left and right!

... now I do need a great pair of "listening" headphones too!!!!!!

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud