Bob your points are certainly valid, to a degree. Where i disagree is where you make a finite statement. The net is full of karaoke midi files. Van Basco and many other sites, to name at least one. even with a top notch synth these have a distinctive midi sound, the drums hits are right on, the piano chops are perfect, the guitar is perfect, the electric guitar bends are midish sounding. Try to get a backing vocal sound from a midi file the oohs and aahs start and stop robotish.

All of this can be reworked, and tweaked, fiddled with, and much can be made to be more human, but it will never sound 100% human played. Your song is a perfect example, the piano chops chink chink chink are in absolute perfect timing, not capable of the variables that Peter RT had, that sound like a classic rock piano track being enjoyed, playing in the mix. There are some sounds that will always sound a bit mechanical. Pedal steel, electric guitar, vocal harmonies, Harmonica's to name a few.

Played live with two good musicians it can sound pretty good. I also think comparing a recorded song to having RTs in a song bed is apples and oranges. I did a song last night and over layed a Brent mason solo using the new multi riff feature and i was stunned at the results. I have a version of an old Classic country swing type song using a midi bass, and adding three RTS the results are incredible, it sound like a modern hot country band. The blending of RTs used with moderation along with well chosen midi tacks, and a few tossed in personally played live tracks can be a very successful product.

I just think it is a bit narrow viewed to say one is better than the other, and kind of like saying a hammer is better than a saw. That might be true until you need to cut the board.

Last edited by Robh; 01/04/12 12:08 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.