"Interesting" is a good word. I've been looking for a place to put those Celtic guitars, and I really liked their sound there. The mandolins are great for sweetening the track, but I should have dropped them (and the percussion) on the second verse. Maybe I'll find some time to fool with it today.

The only tweaking that I did to the Garritan woodwinds was to adjust the MIDI volume. I generally only adjust the volume, going through each phrase and giving it a curve so it's not entirely static:

It's easy in Reaper - I just drag the mouse over the bars and create a new set of velocities. I'll do a quick sweep, and then fiddle with any that need adjusting. I've gotten much more detailed with the curves before, although this song didn't seem to call for it.

But really, the sound of the GPO woodwinds - especially the flute - are really "that good" out of the box.

The problem with using GPO in BIAB is that BIAB sends a Mod Wheel 0 at the beginning of the song, which GPO translates as a volume control (volume off). Hopefully that's been changed in BIAB 2012 - I'm downloading that right now.

The solo strings are also lovely, but they seem to require a bit more work. I think I'll spend some time on them with my next song...

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?