Quote:

never thought MIDI was of no use. It's great for lighting and triggering pyrotechnics. Many act use synth access axes in the studio and it is used on virtually all boards for live sound too.

I don't think anyone ever said midi was of no use, even in the numerous discussions of midi vs RTs. The main comments have been that midi sounds too artificial compared to RTs. Others have responded to that by insisting midi blended with RTs sounds good. There were even a number of comparisons posted by Peter Gannon in one thread to which there were comments both pro and con.

The point I'm trying to make is that with soundfonts and VST FX, not to mention various editing techniques, you can get a midi track to sound good enough that many, maybe most, people wouldn't realize they were listening to midi especially when mixed with RDs and RTs.

Your point about other uses for midi is a good one that I hadn't considered. That alone would seem to make midi a continued necessity.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki