You have some good points Mac.

I'm not a Luddite by any stretch of the imagination. I was one of the first musicians around here to go computer (other musicians were telling me I'd be putting musicians out of work with that thing). I bought BiaB back when it was Atari/DOS/Mac-Motorola. I was the first sax player I know to do wind synth. If I waited too long to jump on the Internet, I never would have gotten the domain name nortonmusic.com

I love new technology, although I usually wait until version 2 comes out to embrace it (learned that from past experience - the cutting edge can be the bleeding edge).

If and when I can edit audio as good or better than I can with MIDI, I'll make the switch. Until then I'll use the tool that allows me to express myself and make my music the way that it pleases my personal tastes.

Virtually every technology has it's benefits and limitations. I've never dissed the better tone benefit of the RTs or audio loops. On the other hand, I also believe in the benefit to more completely and seamlessly edit MIDI. We each have to find the balance that suits us personally. Right now, for me it's MIDI, the ability for me to more completely put my musical expression in the piece is more important than the finer points of tone. When audio editing gets to that point (and it probably will in the future) I'll switch.

I have an afternoon gig today, but tomorrow I'm going to check out Celmony Melodyne and see what it is all about.

Last edited by Notes Norton; 02/28/12 09:10 AM.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks