When someone says, "You sound like ______" take it as a compliment - especially if it isn't coming from a close friend who is also a musician.

More often than not people compare you to the stars that they admire. They may hear something that reminds of them of that star, or even nothing at all, just that they like the star and they like you. People listen with uneducated ears.

People have come up to me and say that I sound like "Kenny G" when I'm playing soprano sounds, and although I think I play way better than Kenny, I take it as a compliment. The general public thinks Kenny G is the one of the best sax players around, when I know dozens of locals who can play better. If a musician tells me I sound like Kenny G after I play a Kenny G type song, I take that as a compliment too, after all, when playing a K.G. song I'm trying to sound like him.

Someone told Leilani she sounded like Carly Simon, and Leilani sings much better than Carly, but she took that as a compliment because the girl who said that obviously had some hero-worship of Ms. Simon.

Unless they are scowling when saying it, take it as a compliment, it's probably meant that way. The general public looks at most stars as if they are the best musicians/singers in the world. They think the cream rises to the top and don't really know that it is more about politics than talent that puts you in the spotlight. As Tom Scott once told me (and I'll paraphrase) - "I know there is a sax player somewhere playing in a Holiday Inn in a city like Valparaiso Indiana that can put me in his back pocket, but I was in the right place at the right time, knew the right people, showed up on time, showed up straight, and did the job."

It's easy to take offense when none is intended, and it is just as easy to take it as a compliment. Taking it as a compliment is much more pleasurable, so go ahead and take it the happy way. It's your choice, make the best choice.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks