Hi Scott.

In a word - flexibility.

If you're working in BiaB you can put together a good backing using RTs with just a handful of tracks, but what I'm talking about is using PowerTracks as a DAW for laying down a backing from scratch.

True, some songs are simple and can be done with five or six tracks, but a lot of things are more complex. Suppose we want oohs and aahs in three part harmony. We're going to track-up each part three times, giving us nine tracks of BVs. We may also have a sung harmony line which gives us another nine tracks. Add in the other instruments and it's easy to push the track count over twenty four and you find yourself constantly scrolling the mixer whilst you're setting a rough monitor mix to work to.

When we're mixing a track such as this, we assign things like BVs to a sub group, so we want to be able to see all the subs as well, but we still want immediate access to all the individual tracks in case we want to alter something in the sub-mix.

But even this is only part of the story. To make a production work, you often find it's the little extras which make the difference - the things which only appear once for maybe a bar. These are the things which we used to stack an one tape track and which were a nightmare to mix on an old desk with no automation. These days we put each bit on a separate track, just because we can.

I know I'm not alone in this approach to working, though I accept that it depends largely on what type of music you're recording and how you were trained.

Anyway, I hope this goes some way to explaining my wish list for PT2013.

ROG.