Rog,

No harm no foul. Your question was valid. Please understand that I still care about gain staging and so forth and I do still use most of the A/D available range when I record - I just worry less about it now. It used to make a difference. Now, with the limited time I have for this hobby, I spend less time worrying about it and it's none for the worse as a result.

Regarding maths, I learned this stuff about 10-12 years ago in the EE-638 Digital Signal Processing class at Purdue University. I was the only mechanical engineer in the course. The professor was Michael Zoltowski - great guy who knows a shed load of information about DSP. His specialty is spread spectrum communications. I bugged him a great deal with my questions about applications to audio for music purposes.

My favorite moment in the class was the exercise we went through to show how sending this stair-stepped digitized signal through the D/A filter actually DOES result in a smoothed analog signal (up to a certain frequency) through the superposition of each bit's impulse response through the D/A filter stage.

That was an eye opener for me.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 06/09/12 07:32 AM.