Man, there are a BUNCH of things about this discussion that bother me:

I'll preface my replies with the admission that I speak opinion. I'm not professing my point of view to be absolute truth. having said that...

IMO, most of the rebuttals above make the same logical error they claim to be correcting in the original article.

Quote:

to every complex problem, there is always a very simple solution -- and most of the time it is wrong;

that is, in itself, a simple summary of a complex problem. "WRONG" is the simple summary bandied about most often when there is no opposing argument offered, but the current argument is rejected.

The greatest affront to common sense (IMO) is to suggest that any conclusion that is not perfect is therefore wrong. Conservatives don't claim to have perfect answers. We shoot for RATIONAL answers. The definition of a rational decision is that it is not based on what makes us feel good, but rather it is the least-cost max-benefit solution

I didn't see ANY rebuttals above that offered anything more tangible than a rejection of the ideas offered because they aren't perfect. Nobody can win that game because no matter how much time is spent considering the cost and benefits, the opposition can just reject it without offering a better option.

(thoughts divided into separate posts for clarity of reading)