Thanks.

Someone here (London Ontario) got the idea to start up a Jazz Society. They meet once a month at the Shriner's big upstairs hall (well big to us, it holds 300). You buy a membership and they bring in new and old talent. Peter Appleyard played there recently and lots of good musicians are in and out. Some displays and they usually sell out.

I've been thinking and trying to get the brass players to do the same. Takes some more work than I want to put in to run the thing, but I am hoping to find someone with enough ambition to rise to the occasion. One reason is that if my Shriners Drum and Bugle band sponsers it we get the hall for $50. The Jazz Society runs Sunday afternoon. I know the 'mericians watch football for 8 months of the year on Sundays, and across the pond they are glued to the footy, but in Canada Sunday afternoon is for having a nap cause you can't find anything to do unless you want to ice skate in the park or up yer Rideau, or down yer Don.

See, then I could import horn oil and sell it at a booth and do like the oil companies who put the same oil in 10 different cans and sell it at more money for the fancy names. When I was a kid we toured Shell, and they had just run their low no name brand through and the next can was Castrol. The pause was about 3 seconds. When I asked they said it's like the gasoline, all the same thing, it's in the advertising. LOL.

By the way the horn in question was flushed, cleaned, and tuned up before we got it, and because at he Plumbing Factory Brass Band my wife plays it she gets lots of attention. My horn could freeze up and calf and no one would lift a finger, but if my wife has any small problem there are about 20 guys over helping her. I should be blonde and 40ish, instead of 60 and half dead.

John Conley
Musica est vita