When my brother died recently, I learned that the mortuary is entitled to a free obit write-up but seldom submits one. The family, on the other hand, must pay for a listing. Once they publish it they offer to keep it running, for a fee, of course.

It's not a bunch of Loonies so, if no one else takes care of it, I'm in for US$5. Somebody must collect the Loonies with a PayPal account. I'm thinking US$25 should cover a nice obituary notice.

Quote:

scour
verb
to look through (as a place) carefully or thoroughly in an effort to find or discover something <the police scoured the city for the Typhoid Mary of this latest epidemic>
Synonyms comb, dig (through), dredge, hunt (through), rake, ransack, rifle, rummage, scour, sort (through), troll
Related Words frisk, pat down, shake down; audit, check (out), examine, inspect, investigate, review, scan, scrutinize, survey; ascertain, descry, detect, determine, discover, ferret (out), find, find out, get, hit (on or upon), learn, locate, run down, scare up, track (down); grub (about), poke (around); explore, probe, prospect, skirmish, snoop; browse, glance (over), look over; peruse, study
Near Antonyms hide; abandon, lose; ignore, neglect

Source: Webster's Collegiate Dictionary under Scour.

Abraham Lincoln used the word to mean: search thoroughly. It may be a colloquial term but it is acceptable in informal conversation.

We are never too old or too educated to learn from our tenacious Yank friends. You can quote me on that!

Me wee Mum, herself being Canadian, used "scour" to mean "scrub" or "search or seek" depending on context.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 07/21/12 10:52 AM.