I agree with the above with one small caveat. Not a pup. Your local shelter is likely FILLED with 7-8 year old dogs that need someone to keep company through their last 5-6 years. I have had nothing BUT rescue dogs and I believe 100% that know that they are getting a second chance and they try harder and harder to please their new master. I got Scruff at 6 months and to watch her grow and learn and take training was the most rewarding thing I have experienced. (And I have KIDS!)

When Twiggy, my Wheaten Terrier, died in 2006, I was dead set against getting another dog. I had all the reasons written down. A dog ties you down. A dog is a big expense. A dog takes a lot of my time. My dear friend Joni was over one day and she grabbed me by the shoulders, all 96 pounds of her, and shook me and said "GO GET A *&!^@%#$^ DOG ALREADY!! There are dogs in that shelter that need YOU. And you will be better off for it. Where do you go anyway that a dog is going to tie you down?"

So we went to the shelter, I found this perfect little Jack Russell mix, and 5 1/2 years later, she is curled up next to me on the couch snoring.

And that shelter is now beneficiary of my life insurance and benefactor of whatever money can be made at my estate sale when I am gone. They have given me now 4 of the best friends I ever had and I will pay them back when it's time to go.

Now only you will know when your heart is ready, and don't do it too soon. Also remember that the new dog is not the old dog in a new dog suit. I almost made that mistake. This one has pretty much become that one anyway. I mean, I trained her the same way with the same commands, so it had to be.

Your time will come, and you will know it.

My heart goes out to you on this day, but you can be at peace in your heart knowing you did what was right for the dog. Too many people keep ailing dogs alive for themselves, and that is selfish and the ultimate act of cruelty. I commend you for being able to let go and keeping the dog's welfare first.

Hang in there.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.