Quote:

Notes, that PM was for Shastastan.

No wonder I didn't get it I'm reading the post, so it must be for me - right???

dcuny

Yamaha makes the WX5 and Akai makes a couple of EWI models.

Expensive? Not really, but not cheap either. I've seen the WX5 street price under $550. The EWI for slightly under $500 and the USB version of the EWI for under $250 - but I really prefer the WX5.

Considering what they do and the fact that there are many more keyboard controllers sold, I think the price is fair.

Every MIDI controller has the things it's good at and the thing it doesn't do as well as the others. For solo monophonic voices, the wind MIDI controller works much better than the keyboard - especially paired with the right sound module.

The Yamaha VL70-m was just recently discontinued after a 15 year run, which is a pretty long run for a synth. A few pop up here and there on eBay and/or Craigslist. It's a worthy score if you get one in good condition. I've had 2 for 15 years (one and a backup). I always use them with a power conditioner to minimize spikes and dips in the AC line, and they have both performed flawlessly - and I gig one-nighters, which is hard on gear.

And that's a big plus for hardware synths. Computers evolve and the stuff you use today has a very limited shelf life. How many pre Intel Mac apps still work? Or older Windows programs. I have a Roland MT-32 that i bought in the 1980s and used with my Atari/ST computer. It still works and works with any computer. MIDI is MIDI and so far it hasn't even reached it's full potential.

How many 1980s computer programs still work - and those that do - just how many updates have you purchased? All the MIDI gear I've ever bought still work as good as the day I bought them home.

Notes ♫

Brand new 2012.5 updates from Norton Music:
  • 2 new style disks for Band-in-a-Box
  • 2 new free (with a purchase) fancy intro/ending disks for Real Band and other DAW's
  • The Ultimate Gospel Fake Disk
  • The Real Rock Fake Disk (plenty of classic rock in this one)
  • The Beatles Fake Disk
  • And an updated Christmas Fake Disk

Hundreds of Free .sgu and .mp3 demos for the above at: http://www.nortonmusic.com