Quote:

I called to ask if I could buy a license.Nope.I asked can the venue get a license month to month to see how it works out.Nope. Got to pay for a year.The initial Cafe that got caught and thus ended the Bowling Alley gig seats 20 people.She wanted music 1 night a week.Play the radio the rest of the time. 3 Agencies involved ,BMI,ASCAP & another who's name escapes me.Was over $1000 up front for the year.She could pay on a monthly basis but had to commit for a year and the interest was very high. Starting to ring a bell folks?

Said it before, and I'll say it again...
I see more and more local venues advertising for acts that play ONLY original material.. presumably because:

1) They can have live music to lure customers, but...
2) they won't have to pay fees to the sharks
3) original songs are cooler anyway if you want to pass off your establishment as being an "artsy" place

all of which gives us a distinct advantage, because BIAB and RB make it just as easy to lay down original tracks as covers.

Don't give up John. You are a very talented guy who DOES have his act together. These others are the ones who don't. Survivors are those who have the tools to adapt to the new reality. You're a survivor, and so are the rest of us.