Richard,

I have obviously offended you, and for that I'm truly sorry. That defintely wasn't my intention.

I just don't understand the appeal of haiku. I read several examples and I didn't see any flow, just strict adherence to form and structure.

Quote:

All you have demonstrated is that you don't understand poetry in the much larger sense.

I would have to disagree with that since haiku is such a small percentage of "poetry" that you'd have to start with a decimal point and add a few zeros before actually calculating a numeric value.

I enjoy poetry, but I like the more classical forms.

As a songwriter, I've written tons of songs. Some are pretty good, others, ... not so much. Songs are nothing more than poetry over a musical progression.

Early on in the thread:

Quote:

I don’t understand the appeal, but that’s okay.

If you like it, go for it.

I started playing and singing long before I knew ANYTHING about music theory. I only knew what I thought sounded good. I learned basic music theory later.

As far as "rules" in music goes, music theory isn't a list of "rules" on what you have to do, it's an EXPLANATION of why certain things sound good and other things don't.

That's the basis for this earlier statement:

Quote:

If I’d been given a list of “rules” about writing a song, then I’d never have written my first one. Ditto for playing an instrument.

As far as what is an "art form", that's up to the person viewing or listening to what is being put forward as "art'. To some folks, art is when someone p*sses in a fruit jar, places an inverted crucifix in the jar, puts a lid on it and then gives it some absurd name. I reserve the right to declare "that's not art" or to say it sucks.

You're obviously a fan of haiku. That's fine. Enjoy it.

My comments were given in the same context where I'd tell a friend who is a metalcore fan that his music "sucked" and he'd tell me that bluegrass is "redneck bullsh*t". Then we'd both laugh and take turns on picking the next song.