Quote:

There is another thread here recently about Tommy Emmanuel. Same thing IMO.

The one common denominator I've noticed about these kind of performers, who can entertain audiences all night long all by themselves and never lose that keen audience interest, is that they always, always, KEEP PERFECT TIME while they are performing. Watch their feet, as that is their internal clock. Then govern your practice time accordingly.

Over the years I've learned that you don't have to attempt to play *everything* when accompanying your own singing or otherwise playing your instrument by yourself like that, but you absolutely MUST be able to keep good time.

--Mac

I have spent gobs of time on youtube watching TE...I have seen him 6 times (he passes thru Chicago a couple times a year) and as amazing as he is playing bass lines, rhythm, harmony and melody all at the same time , his sense of time is what knocks me out completely. He can be playing up a storm and throws in a 2-3 second series of single note licks and jump back to what he was playing and he NEVER LOSES THE GROOVE!

And that, my friends, is what it is all about...THE GROOVE. It is a skill set that very few musicians master.