Since the topic has obviously changed from “Could You Live From Making Music?” to cover songs, I’ll weigh in on that.

I enjoy hearing someone take a classic song and then make it their own by playing their own rendition of it. I don’t want to hear them perfectly mimic the original artist’s version. I want them to put a new twist on it. If it’s a good song, it’s ripe for new interpretations.

The perfect example would be “Cold, Cold Heart” by Hank Williams. …From Wiki:

Quote:

"Cold, Cold Heart" has since been recorded by many other artists, including Louis Armstrong, Tony Bennett, Donald Peers, Petula Clark, Johnny Cash, Nat King Cole, Aretha Franklin, Bill Haley & His Comets, Rosemary Clooney, Dinah Washington, Norah Jones, Lucinda Williams, Ronnie Hawkins, Raul Malo, George Jones, David Allan Coe, Guy Mitchell, Teresa Brewer, Jerry Lee Lewis, Cowboy Junkies, Frankie Laine, and Jo Stafford.

That’s a pretty impressive list of people who recorded a “cover”. I haven’t heard them all, but I feel safe in saying that NONE of them tried to mimic Hank Williams version.

I’ve always liked the song, but I grew to love it after hearing Norah Jones do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35zS1tVO...ture=plpp_video

I suspect that Hank would be proud. So play your “covers” and don’t be afraid to put your own spin on it.