Quote:

I honestly think if Dylan came around again now NOT in a time like the 60s when drug use was underground and the "peace and love generation" were the record buying public he would be just another good folk song writer. 40-50 years of music evolution later, the pond is a lot bigger.

And that same logic could be probably applied to a lot of artists from back then, but we are only talking about this one. It's 2012 and to this day I can't figure out how the Grateful Dead was popular. Jerry Garcia and a bunch of guys named Joe who became famous later BECAUSE they played with Jerry Garcia. Bob Weir, Phil Lesh... c'mon.

Eddie, you make some great points. The Beatles were unquestionably great but would they be able to break through the noise today? I guess not unless they caught a lucky break. Too often we neglect to include "dumb luck" when we are appraising the success of our icons! Just being at the front end of the music shift that happened midway through the last century must have been an amazing place to be. And there were lots of people who got to ride that wave because they were in the right place at the right time. Hell, even today I am amazed at the local talent where I live and they are struggling to get by while the charts are chock full of "stars" that are not even 1/2 as talented!