Quote:

Huh? Sliders change the levels of the track that 'get sent to the mix'. That is how both digital and analog work. When you reduce the slider you reduce the signal out to the mix (or more exact, out from that track); what you hear in your monitor mix IS your mix. It isn't compression or limiting that does it. It's a reduction in the volume for the track output. It's digital.

Ok, fair enough. That seems to make intuitive sense with one problem. Why then do recording engineers universally preach do your basic tracking at -12 to -18db? And in the case of RB, tracking includes generating an RT. Who cares about that if all you have to do is lower the faders during mixdown? Obviously that is not the proper way to do it or all those engineers would simply say that and not go on and on about recording levels.

Like I said, I don't have the education to explain this fully but I do know it's true. Unlike some people I know when I read the same thing written over and over by pros and I finally conclude they know what they're talking about I simply try to do it the same way. I don't have two years to study it to try to figure out all the why's. I just do it.

You do pose a good question Rharv. It's doesn't make obvious sense and if someone here can answer it in detail I would like to read it. You could record every track at -2 and just adjust the console faders but every pro says no, don't even think of doing that.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.