If I were on the team at PG I'd seriously consider several of the "big picture" suggestions above as well as a few others in the overall product/business plan.

1) completely redesign the user interface using a professional interface designer who works hand-in-hand with in-house staff so a great interface is designed that still works for all of the BIAB functionality

2) related to above, study and emulate the extremely cool interfaces being designed for DAWs, VST plugins, etc. I know these are mostly cosmetic but DANG are they enticing!

3) rename and relaunch the product. I know this is painful because the brand is well-known among your user base but you can tell them about the change in emails, on the forum, the website, etc. And, a new, slick product name could help establish the kind of credibility that would gain you a multitude of new customers. I continue to be amazed at how many pros in the music business either don't know about BIAB or have no idea how awesome it is. Trust me, as a new user, I was quite skeptical until I tried it and now I continue to be just blown away by what can be produced using this software!!! It should be in every songwriter's toolkit and I'd even go so far to say everyone making a demo should do their first version in BIAB before they ever spend a dime on studio time. I know there is no replacing the experience and quality of a studio & staff but you can get very close with just a little effort with BIAB!

4) related to above, again, hire a pro from outside your company or an agency to develop the new product name. invest in focus groups and field testing of the new name. It will pay off!

5) Update all demo videos to the latest version and include them at no extra charge when someone buys BIAB and all RealTracks. I felt a bit gypped to spend almost $500 and then have to pony up another $29 for video tutorials that seem to be a bit dated. You really should do this because it is in your best interest for a new user to get going quickly!

6) Go through the entire product, documentation, demos, tutorials, etc. and cut WAY back on all the jazz references. I guess the product has its roots in jazz but when you look at your potential market, jazz is probably the smallest group by far (check out 2012 mid-year music sales here http://www.scoopmarketing.com/2012/07/th...ndustry-report/ about the middle of the page and you'll see the only music selling less than jazz is classical!)

7) because you have a DAW you might consider a tighter integration with BIAB but I'm not sure if this would be a good idea as I'm pretty certain I'm gonna keep using Reaper because it is familiar to me.

8) target a younger demographic to add more diversity to your community. I'm on the other side of 50 and get the impression most/many of your users are too so it would be great to see some young blood involved in forums. They could get help from the seasoned vets and we could get their fresh perspective and see how they use BIAB.

9) get some celebrity endorsements. I play and write music and I've listened to tons of music and I write software...and with that experience I feel I am qualified to say BIAB is an AMAZING product so you should not have any trouble getting some endorsements.

10) advertise in songwriting and other musician magazines, websites, google adwords, etc. I have been playing music all my life and had never heard of BIAB until I read Robin Frederick's songwriting book where she recommended BIAB! And, BTW, it would be worthwhile for you to contact her to update her recommendation about BIAB...she makes no mention of RealTracks, focuses on midi and states that you have a working demo! http://www.robinfrederick.com/resources.html

11) related to above, contact other songwriting teachers, writers, etc. and get them to recommend BIAB on their websites!

12) contact music schools and offer a discount if students buy BIAB through their school

13) be more active on your Facebook page and/or start a blog with something daily or at least weekly

There is probably lots more that you can do but these were just a few of my thoughts on this chilly midwest morning.

And, FWIW, even if you change nothing about BIAB I will remain impressed and thrilled to have the product! You have done some amazing work here!!!!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 11/02/12 01:03 AM.