Jazz Mammal: "can only assume that due to the basic coding of the program, these things simply can't be done and that's it."

My guess is that to include a 64 bit application and to Integrate with the Metro interface attributes of Win 8, to start designing for IPads, Androids and the like, this version of BIAB needs fundamental change that the ancient code cannot support. I guess (but have no knowledge) that the next version of BIAB is a complete rewrite and will include addressing some of these long standing issues - like 12/8, 7/4 time signatures and the like.
Obviously it is possible to support unusual time signature and other things like this, its just about how... from the coding perspective.

Even though it looks very dated BIAB is an innovative product, but it cant stand still. Cubase 7 has introduced a new 'chord track' due out December, its not BIAB by any means but things move on.2

I have a very positive feeling about BIAB 2013 being a step change product, PG needs to move forward rapidly from here..

All IMO

Zero

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k