"Strangers", which in this case just means relatively new posters, don't get a lot of response at first because of people's innate wish to not offend. It took the forum regulars here a while to get used to my sense of humor, what can be strange, sardonic and sarcastic depending on the day. Once they figured out that I wasn't really a total jerk (I have a few who never realized it) and learned that I understand that constructive criticism is just that, constructive, they now comment on my songs. And knowing where someone's sensibility level is presents another aspect. Nobody here MEANS to offend, but based on how sensitive and thin skinned a poster is things get taken that way. Once you know what to expect from who, it's all good. I know I can post a song and 2 specific users will immediately tell me there is too much reverb on the vocal track. (In one case the vocals were completely dry, and a guy told me there was too much reverb.) Another will tell you to make the drums hotter even if they are rattling plates in the kitchen cupboard. Some will criticize your lyrics, some will not like your tempos.... you won't please everybody all the time (or everyone would own all the same CDs) and a lot of people here respect that comment and apply the "If you don't have anything nice to say" principle.

It's a great group of people here with a lot of experience at different things and different levels of knowledge and education. Pros who still play for a living, many of us who used to but stopped, some who never played live much but are heavy hobby level, and total newbie amateur people. That last group tends to be shy about posting at first, but it's a good bunch of helpful people who will be glad to help you learn.

We have also had a few come in with guns blazing, telling us how great they are, being very condescending with their comments.... not coincidentally, they don't last long. The new kid should come to the playground with milk and cookies, not boxing gloves.

In my case, I started playing when I was just shy of 5 years old, but that was playing, not producing and engineering. I have a good ear to sit and mix a band in a live setting, but the studio is a different breed of dog. Many very specific things need to be done to make a quality final product, and it takes time and repetition to learn which knob to turn when. Plus factor in the fact that everybody has different tastes and preferences, and that's why the forums are the best place ever to get information and ideas.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.